Lets build a Map Light!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReciprocationProps

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
9A WW, B/W interior
"Fallout"
Well, after having an OEM map light sitting on the shelf for ~5 years it's time to put my schooling to work and make something with modern components that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This is going to be an interesting process as the original style switch is integrated into the housing of assembly. I'll take more progress photos as time goes on but the 3D printer that is being used for the prototypes had a sensor failure so it'll be at least a week before the next version can be run.

Goals for the build:
1) ~$75 price per unit when complete (or lower if possible but they have to be made by hand)
2) Modern switch and bulb that looks close if not exact to OEM (trying to find LEDs that match original dash light tone to keep the assembly cooler than a glass bulb)
3) Use durable materials to prevent having to replace things in the future from parts wearing on each other or burning out

If I can get the draft angles and electronic situated nicely the plan is to resin cast the bodies out of a thermoset plastic to prevent any warping during summers or in hot garages, while more expensive than using something like a raw 3D print it lends to a better finish quality rather than each unit having to be sanded individually.

Attachments

• IMG_20240705_141344~2.jpg
    IMG_20240705_141344~2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2
Need some feedback for switch preference - I've been unable to find a 3 position switch that matches the throw of the original so there's 2 options

1) Use a modern switch that is slightly smaller and directly toggle the switch positions
2) Cover the modern switch with a sleeve that matches the OEM size and appearance (the additional part would mean a higher production cost and therefore end user cost)

Need some feedback for switch preference - I've been unable to find a 3 position switch that matches the throw of the original so there's 2 options

1) Use a modern switch that is slightly smaller and directly toggle the switch positions
2) Cover the modern switch with a sleeve that matches the OEM size and appearance (the additional part would mean a higher production cost and therefore end user cost)
I'd go with option 1. No sense making it cost more than necessary.

Back