Lifter noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just started. I’m thinking it’s a collapse lifter.
Where in PA are you located. I might be able to drop by on a road trip a little later this year and do an acoustical analysis if you have not by then resolved or identified the issue.

Time to pull the valve covers and check the valve train. Check for loose rockers, bent pushrods, and that each of the cam lobes is actuating the valves.
Haven't had time to pull the valve covers working on the front suspension. Up on jack stands makes it tuff to get there.

Yeah - valve covers off and examine .

Before one starts really pulling stuff apart ...
I had similar annoying tick tick tick ... and a slightly shakey engine and I was scared to death 😵‍💫 because its easy to think the worst
... turned out one plug had gone open circuit. wtf! (n)

If you think the issue is deeper borescoping first is always better prior to ripping anything apart
where ever you can get a micro camera first can yield clues.

The shake is a misfire, and looking at how you have your plug wires routed - that's potentially a problem. Wrapping them around each other can cause an inductive crossfire. Follow the diagram below for wire routing. It's for a 94 F series, but the firing order is the same as the 351C.

As far as the ticking, I would start with making sure all your plugs are tight and none are cracked. If none of that makes any difference, then I'd use a stethoscope and figure out which cylinder is making the noise and pull that valve cover.

351c wire routing.jpeg

Last edited:
Where in PA are you located. I might be able to drop by on a road trip a little later this year and do an acoustical analysis if you have not by then resolved or identified the issue.
An "acoustical analysis"? Never heard that one before. I guess that's a regional term. Down here in the valley we call it "give it a listen". :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Haven't had time to pull the valve covers working on the front suspension. Up on jack stands makes it tuff to get there.
I made these for short folks (like my wife) over 20 years ago. One for each side.. Or Harbor Freight sells a nice aluminum one that I also have a couple of now. Actually have been using the HF models in working on my Mach 1 engine bay. Makes life as a senior citizen a lot better. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20150818_184525247_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150818_184525247_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Step Stool HF.jpg
    Step Stool HF.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
Well I did a compression test and all cylinders are between 145 to150. I guess I will go check the plugs and wires. it is not the exhaust new headers. What is confusing is it ran perfect sat for two weeks and the noise started immediately on start up.

Well as quick as it started the tick is gone! After it warmed up it went away Thank God. Now it running smooth.
Thanks for the Help.

Latest posts

Back