Looking at a 1973 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Joe. I agree with everything others have said. If you get the car (which I hope you do) you'll find the answers here to just about any question you have about your car. I'm in the finishing stages of rebuilding my '73 351 2V, and can't wait to let everyone know how she screams. :p I'll be more than happy to share everything I've learned.

Doc

Is there a way you can remove some of the pollution stuff from the 1973 motor to restore some of the power robbed from it, or did Ford make internal changes to lower the compression ratio, etc that made it impossible to return the power?

Just checking, because it had plenty of pickup even with all the smog stuff on it (at least it seemed that way to a guy who drives a Mazda and who's other car is a Diesel Excursion).
Welcome!

+1 for being a VW guy. Me too.

+1 for being a diesel Excursion guy. Me too.

I think you'll like being a mustang guy as well.

Also look at the cowl area through the glove box door with a flashlight.

All,

I really appreciate all the responses.

I am going to look at the car again today/tonight, to check out those areas that I didn't check before like the Cowl.

Are there any noises or anything else that I should look for as the Cleveland is idling? I know that on my old VW's you could "hear" when an engine was in bad shape whether it was in the heads, or in the inner bearings. The 351 was pretty quiet, much more quiet than I thought it would be. There weren't any consistent rapping sounds, or things that would make me think that a rod was knocking.

Also, the guy wants $3500 for it. I hadn't thought of haggling with him, but I might if I find some things I don't like. You guys seem to be thinking that's a pretty fair price, and I'm inclined to go with your advice.

Joe

Is there a way you can remove some of the pollution stuff from the 1973 motor to restore some of the power robbed from it, or did Ford make internal changes to lower the compression ratio, etc that made it impossible to return the power?

Just checking, because it had plenty of pickup even with all the smog stuff on it (at least it seemed that way to a guy who drives a Mazda and who's other car is a Diesel Excursion).
Welcome!

+1 for being a VW guy. Me too.

+1 for being a diesel Excursion guy. Me too.

I think you'll like being a mustang guy as well.

Also look at the cowl area through the glove box door with a flashlight.

In a word, YES.

I took my buddy down there with me, and we went over that thing with a fine-toothed-comb. Took it on a long drive, about 8 miles or so, and it ran great. The carb needed some coaxing, as it was cold out, but it ran well once warm. The only thing was that the fluid leak was still there from the auto. In about 5 minutes after we stopped it leaked a decent bit of fluid, but not from the bell housing, but from the passenger side behind the bell housing. My friend said he thinks its either from where the filler tube comes in or from one of the cooler lines.

The body is as straight as I mentioned before. No rust anywhere. Unfortunately, the previous owner mig welded all the holes for the quarter panel emblems and the trunk lid emblem. I'm going to have to either get stick on ones, or re-drill the holes.

This car is ORIGINAL. Most of the tubes in the engine compartment still have their "Ford tags" with the part numbers on them. It's got the AM radio as well as the Owner's manual. I was suitably impressed. The only interior piece that was disturbing was the fact that there were no lights behind the instruments on the left side, and the speedo light was dim.

Congratulations! There are some good posts on here about the dash lights. Might be easier to remove the dash pad to get to the light bulbs. Since your not far away it would be cool to meet you and check out your coupe! Keep us posted.

Congratulations on taking the plunge. So how does the wife like it?

Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't take possession until Saturday or Sunday, so the wife hasn't seen it yet up close. She'll be standoffish about it at first...if she warms up in a week or two, then I'm golden...otherwise, not somuch.

I'll prepare you all now...I ask questions, and lots of them, the first of which will start in a new thread in about a minute.

I've attached a picture (probably the wrong way) of me driving it for the first time...it's the best non-craigslist picture I have.

Thanks,

Joe

Congratulations on taking the plunge. So how does the wife like it?

Mustang_ed.JPG

Congratulations, Joe. Sounds like you have the same issue with your wife as the Carb you mentioned on your test drive. I'd recommend the same fix - just get her out on the road, and she'll warm up just fine.

Mark

Congratulations, Joe. Sounds like you have the same issue with your wife as the Carb you mentioned on your test drive. I'd recommend the same fix - just get her out on the road, and she'll warm up just fine.

Mark
:goodpost: Mark, and congratulations, Joe! Ask as many questions as you want - that's what we're all about.

Doc

Back