Looking for ideas on 'retro' switch/indicator lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has me thinking seriously of wiring up an ignition switch using this:

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/k4s13-221.html

and this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278

Put in the key, put it in run, flip up the cover, switch on, and push up to crank. :)
I actually got a bunch of those (various switches with 'missile launcher covers') with my ebay center console. The console has a ton of holes in the upright surface in front of the box where those switches and lights were mounted (a la James Bond style). The ebay story was hilarious, so I bought the console. The seller also sent me a carefully trimmed box portion that I could graft onto the console - but I think I'll probably come up with something different, since I'm going to put the power window and lock switches there anyway.
Well, I've already got that half-inch hole where the parking brake warning light is supposed to be and let's face it...never going to find one of those. :)

Okay, I am leaning towards the replacement of the cigar lighter with a rotary switch. So while I am at it, why not make it a secret kill switch too. (oh rats, the secret is already out).

Position 1 would interrupt the ignition circuit. It wouldn't matter if the circuit for the OD was on or off since the car won't run. Position two would complete the circuit for the ignition but not the OD, position 3 would complete both.

Or maybe a rotary/push/pull. So I could push/pull the OD (or ignition) and rotate the other.

I think a pull to complete the ignition circuit and then a rotary for the OD (manual/auto) would be awesome. When I parked the car I could push the switch in and everything would appear 'normal'. I wonder if I could adapt a headlight switch to work.

If any of you guys have an idea let me know. I know it is dumb I am excited by this but for some strange reason I am.

I like your idea will e. I was going to do the kill switch too and the cigarette lighter gave me an idea. For my MSD ignition it has one wire when grounded kills the ignition. So I was thinking by removing the pwr to the lighter and hooking up ground instead every time you depress the lighter it would complete the circuit and kill the ignition. The lighter would not pop out because it would never heat up. When you pull it out it breaks the circuit and the ignition is enabled. This would keep the retro look.

-jbojo

Is there any later Ford with a stalk-mounted overdrive button at the shifter - more importantly (if there is such a thing), can one be adapted to a '71-73 column?

-Kurt

I thought about it some more. There isn't any reason why I couldn't just modify a normal 'headlights' switch.

Pushed in everything is off.

Pulled out one (normally marker lights only) I use for completing the ignition circuit. Turn the knob to the left and what is normally the interior lights become my 'auto mode' activation. I wouldn't use the fully pulled out position. I might even be able to keep it from going all the way out...

Hmm

Yeah, headlight switch is the way to go. I am now thinking turn it to enable the ignition, pull out 1 to enable autodrive. This will keep me from accidently pushing it in and killing the engine while driving.

Back