Looking to upgade factory center gauges.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been quite a while since I last added to this saga.

For now, the installation of the new gauges is on hold. I have however, decided on the type of tubing going to the oil gauge and it will be copper. The feral fittings are the same as for the plastic tubing, i.e. 5/16th, so that part is a snap. What I don't really want to do is cut a 1" hole in my firewall to run the two tubes through. If I do, I would use the same rubber grommet, with two holes in it, for the fuel and brake lines in the left shock tower, part #9369-4K / B-10378 from NPD. This would keep the two lines separate and vibration free.

I was at a car show last week and saw a 73 Mustang with added gauges in a similar way to what I want to do, except the guy used the original gauge housing and grafted the new ones in. All I could see was he had found somewhere behind the brake booster to get the lines through, so there may be an option there to look at without cutting the firewall. I would still like to put these in as I have considerable cash involved, so stay tuned folks!!

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only the money, but if you're like me, mechanical gauges are preferred for their accuracy and longevity. My '71 is the first time I have installed electrical gauges, just because of the difficulty of running the tubing for mechanical gauges. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that I connect whenever I want to verify what I see on the electrical gauge, so far, so good.

Not only the money, but if you're like me, mechanical gauges are preferred for their accuracy and longevity. My '71 is the first time I have installed electrical gauges, just because of the difficulty of running the tubing for mechanical gauges. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge that I connect whenever I want to verify what I see on the electrical gauge, so far, so good.
 We're on the same page Don. I hate to cut up a perfectly good original firewall, so that's why I'm undecided at this point. I really would love to have more information from gauges in my car, but.................

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your decision to use copper tubing. The plastic tubing that comes with gauges goes directly into the trash, they don't even make it into one of my surplus parts (actually more like junk) boxes.

I agree with your decision to use copper tubing. The plastic tubing that comes with gauges goes directly into the trash, they don't even make it into one of my surplus parts (actually more like junk) boxes.
 Agreed, but there might just be some use for it somewhere, like squirting oil /rust inhibitor into tight places........ or not!

Back