lost bill of sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe, 460 c6, 3.73 possi
my dad has a 66 sprint and an 86 (i think its 86) grand national stuck out in the woods were i grew up they both need allot of work but the main problem is that we had a bit of a rat problem a few years back and one particularly fat one destroyed both bill of sales like not a scrap left, ate then shredded and use it and some other stuff as a nest -_-

what am i supposed to do about this? i say what am "I" supposed to do because im really thinking about after my 73 is done to move to the 66.... sprint but because the motor and tranny is gone put the 3.8 turbo buik in it

The easiest thing to do is get the VIN of both vehicles and go to the DMV and see what the last time they were registered was. I know that after a certain point the vehicle is considered "abandoned" and you can easily re-register the vehicle in your name. I believe Alabama doesn't do Titles for cars older than 1976? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

are you saying your dad only had a bill of sale on both? or he only gave you a bill of sale?

if he was the owner and sold or gave to you, then at the very least provide you with a bonded title meaning you'll pay roughly 200.00 per car and they will title it for that fee and they will run a history on the car to ensure there are no claims. If your dad purchased them you want this bonded title just for the same security that nobody attempts a claim or has attempted a claim.

I did a little more research on this, Alabama does not do Titles for vehicles over 35 years of age so for the Sprint I'm not really sure what you need to do.

For the 86 you should have you dad submit a request for a duplicate title to be issues. From the Alabama website "An application for replacement title can be submitted directly to the Alabama Department of Revenue by the recorded owner(s) or lienholder. The application fee is $15.00, non-refundable. In addition, an application for replacement title can be processed by any designated agent."

If your father is no longer with us (My condolences in that case!) things get a little tricky, and again your best bet is to reach out to the state directly because every state is going to be different and unique.

Back