Mach 1 in movie The Hill

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72conv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible
The main character in the 2023 baseball movie The Hill drives a really trashed Mach 1 that looks like a mixture of '71 through '73 parts. The storyline takes place in 1971. I can't figure out how the Mustang could possibly look like a 30 year old junkyard refugee when it's only 1 to 3 years old, but that's Hollywood for ya!

The main character in the 2023 baseball movie The Hill drives a really trashed Mach 1 that looks like a mixture of '71 through '73 parts. The storyline takes place in 1971. I can't figure out how the Mustang could possibly look like a 30 year old junkyard refugee when it's only 1 to 3 years old, but that's Hollywood for ya!
Yep,its a 73 mach1. Some previous owner had put the pop open gas cap on it, which I believe was from an earlier year. And the chrome trim on the hood came off my 72 parts car back in the day.

You'll have to cut Hollywood some slack, though. That was a very low budget independent film. They didn't have a dozen clones of the hero car made up like the fast and the furious. They originally had a clapped out 60s car for Rickey's character. Part way through the filming, the car took a crap. They couldn't get it running. All the other old cars we had handy were way too nice for Rickey's character to be driving. They knew using the beat up early 70s model wouldn't be 100% accurate for the timeline, but decided only a handful of enthusiasts nerding out in the small circles of the internet would care. They felt it was more important to the story that he had a car that looked like crap than one that looked exactly like it should have in 1971.

"only a handful of enthusiasts nerding out in the small circles of the internet would care"

Yep, that's me. I spot stuff like that all the time! I'm a lifelong car guy and a retired electrical engineer who spent 43 years working in the aerospace industry. I can't watch any automotive or aviation or military or maritime movie or TV show without finding fault with everything. Makes it really hard to just enjoy movies and TV shows. I'm like that at car shows, too. As a long-time Mustang judge, I can't just appreciate peoples' Mustangs for what they are. It's like I'm "programmed" to judge them every time. Makes it hard to just enjoy car shows.

I will say that, other than the Mach 1 being a bit doubtful for the storyline, I really did enjoy the movie! It was an inspiring story.

You know, I'm the same way. Anytime someone in a movie just gets into an aircraft and starts it up in seconds, I groan. Whenever I see car chase scenes and the soundtrack has the car just rowing through gearchange after gearchange when they're almost always an automatic, I roll my eyes. And don't forget, I'm an ex musician who played professionally for 24 years. I listen to a band in a club or bar, and yawn, or I'll say " the band sucked, but the bass player had chops". It's hard to just enjoy some things without critique in my mind.

my first elective course in college was "Movie Appreciation" taught by Manny Farber. He drummed into the students to watch for mike booms, wrong shadow patterns, contrails in Western sky shots, poor continuity shots, etc. I now can't watch anything without picking at things.

my first elective course in college was "Movie Appreciation" taught by Manny Farber. He drummed into the students to watch for mike booms, wrong shadow patterns, contrails in Western sky shots, poor continuity shots, etc. I now can't watch anything without picking at things.
One of my favorites was an old war movie, possibly John Wayne, about the battle for Guadalcanal. The US was pulling troops out as the Japanese were coming to invade. Not enough time or ships/planes to get everyone out. Typical dire and depressing tale of "We, who are about to die...".
It was great watching the last of the C45s arriving and taking off....with a lot of traffic on the southern Califonia highway in the distant background!

Back