Magnum 500 Wheels?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I have read all the threads about the magnum 500 wheels and know that 15" is the standard for 71 / 72. I have read that the Torino and Ranchero came with 14". I also searched the net and see that the 66 Shelby GT 350-H had 14" magnums. They do not reproduce them exactly due to the old original bead design was made outlaw by the government and new design has to be on new wheels. They said when you go to rebuild the wheels that you have to cut them apart for polish and chrome so either the rim or the center gets scrapped. They said you can get the centers anywhere but the rim is the valuable item with the old bead design and disc brake clearance.

Anyway I have 5 - 14" Magnum 500 wheels that clear the disc brakes and had a couple off the car I could take a picture of. Looks like one is a 72 model by the part number but I do not know how to decode the mfg. date on the wheels. I looked around the net and know it is usually Month, Day then the year.

The Shelby wheels have the info on the inside of the wheel where the tire covers so I know they are not for Shelby or at least I think so.

I was going to pull the tires off and run the rims through the molasses tank to clean the rust off and see what they look like.

I know they are Ford they have the Ford logo and the frosted center spokes instead of bright chrome.

Chrome wheels are notorious for leaking air. The chrome cracks when mounting tires and causes minute passages that air gradually leaks out. I think the 2002 T-birds might have had a recall due to air leaks caused by the chromed aluminum wheels.

If they clean up good I might put them on the 72 Q vert even though they would not be correct. I have them why not use them.

Would like to know what the dates are so when I see more I can know.

If Ford stuck by their rule you could Special Order them on a 73 since they were offered on other Ford vehicles. You would need the 6 digit DSO and a Marti will not tell you what the special order was but the build sheet would if you found it.

I just wish someone would access the DSO Special Order files and publish a list of what was built. It exists somewhere on micro fish archive but I cannot find the person in the know. Marti could not even shed any light or suggest where to go in Ford to get the info.

Never know what you will find out there.

David

DSC_2008.JPG

DSC_2010.JPG

DSC_2012.JPG

DSC_2011.JPG

Hi David,

Here are a few pics from the OEM wheels from my 72 with an April 72 build date. Looks like PO had them re-chromed at some point.

Also found this info on the net regarding your part number wheels "These rims were used on a host of Ford cars and were originally designed for 1972 Torino as is identified by the part number D20A-1007-LA. These are designed to accomodate disc brakes, and the 14" wheel size made them a favorite for many Pony car owners due to the fact that the 14" wheels did not rub the fenders like the 15" did".

bhkqk9.jpg

ipb2ic.jpg

2nhes2c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As popular as the 15" Magnum was, it was only utilized by Ford for four years. It was standard on the 69-70 Boss 429, optional on the 69-70 Boss 302, 70-71 Torino, and 71-72 Mustang. The 14" Magnum saw use from the 1966 GT 350 Shelby right up to 1980 on the last year of the first generation Granada/Monarch. After 74 all the wheels had argent painted rims and used trim rings. The Magnum wheel was very popular option on the new 72 Gran Torino's. The Marti report on the one I bought new said it was 1 of 16,089 with the Magnum 500 wheel option, so a lot of 14' Magnum's are out there with the D2OA stamping. The 15" Magnum used on the 71 Mustang before 4/2/71 actually used the 69/70 Boss 429 part number (C9ZZ-1007-D). After 4/2/71 Ford used the D1OZ-1007-A Torino part number. The Magnums were made by Motor Wheel Corporation. Would be nice if some one familiar with that company could help us with some of the non Ford plant markings.

Yes...would be a gold mine of info to access Ford's DSO records. Unfortunately as Ford upgraded their computer systems over the years the paper and microfiche files were casualty's of progress. I know years ago the dealer I was at received microfiche DSO info that pertained to vehicles in our sales district. Even at the dealer level when equipment was upgraded, paper and microfiche cards were discarded. I'll sing that song again, "If I had only known then what I know now"!

Last edited by a moderator:
As popular as the 15" Magnum was, it was only utilized by Ford for four years. It was standard on the 69-70 Boss 429, optional on the 69-70 Boss 302, 70-71 Torino, and 71-72 Mustang. The 14" Magnum saw use from the 1966 GT 350 Shelby right up to 1980 on the last year of the first generation Granada/Monarch. After 74 all the wheels had argent painted rims and used trim rings. The Magnum wheel was very popular option on the new 72 Gran Torino's. The Marti report on the one I bought new said it was 1 of 16,089 with the Magnum 500 wheel option, so a lot of 14' Magnum's are out there with the D2OA stamping. The 15" Magnum used on the 71 Mustang before 4/2/71 actually used the 69/70 Boss 429 part number (C9ZZ-1007-D). After 4/2/71 Ford used the D1OZ-1007-A Torino part number. The Magnums were made by Motor Wheel Corporation. Would be nice if some one familiar with that company could help us with some of the non Ford plant markings.

Yes...would be a gold mine of info to access Ford's DSO records. Unfortunately as Ford upgraded their computer systems over the years the paper and microfiche files were casualty's of progress. I know years ago the dealer I was at received microfiche DSO info that pertained to vehicles in our sales district. Even at the dealer level when equipment was upgraded, paper and microfiche cards were discarded. I'll sing that song again, "If I had only known then what I know now"!
Wow that was a bunch of Torino's with magnums. I thank you for all the detailed info. It is great to have a forum member that had their hands on all the Ford info for years at the dealer.

David

There were two different style center caps used on '71 Magnums: the early 5/8"-tall version and the later Mustangs (after 4/2/71) 1"-tall version.

The size of the hole in the center of the wheel changed at the same time also: early wheels had a 2" hole, later wheels had a 2 1/8" hole. I think the repo wheels all use the 2" hole with the 5/8" tall caps.

Here is a great write-up/post from Kit Sullivan:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-magnum-500-s-oem-vs-repro

Ray

When I was digging through the barn to pull out a set of 73 aluminum wheels for one of the members I found another Magnum 500 wheel. So much stuff I do not remember, lol. It is another of the Torino wheels D20A-1007-LA What I am doing with this one is run it through the Molasses tank to remove the rust. I have taken before pictures attached here and will post after when I take it out in a couple weeks. Slow as molasses is a true statement but it does work and all you do is put it in and wait. I have something in there all the time. Just pulled some engine lift brackets and tie down brackets. It sure beats standing at the blaster and using expensive medial to blast and having to mask off areas you don't want to hit. It does not affect the chrome or paint just the rust. So if there is rust on the chrome surface it will remove that and not touch the chrome.

After pictures in a couple weeks.

David

DSC_2100.JPG

DSC_2101.JPG

DSC_2103.JPG

DSC_2104.JPG

DSC_2105.JPG

DSC_2097.JPG

Back