Manual Shifting on FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
I started to track my car and its a lot more better to pop it in first and run up than to just leave it in drive. My question is, is this harmful to the tranny? Its a 302 with roughly 350-400 HP with a FMX and 3.08 gears..driveshaft and axle still stock w/ 8" one legger.

The FMX was designed to be manually shifted without issue. The 1-2-D pattern was a departure from previous trani's. you can start in second on ice to prevent wheel spin, you can keep in first to keep the rpm up and shift to second to chirp the tires...no problems.

@73vert i usually shift about 4-4500

oh wonderful ok i was worried ill blow the tranny before i can afford an upgrade haha

i have 302 that was built roughly 2000 miles ago. Would i be fine going to 5-5500?
I don't know squat about 302's, so I wouldn't want to speak out of turn. Post up the question in the Performance forum and you should get a few replies from people who know what they're talking about. :)

Not guidance, just my experience. I had no problems at 5K but that was pushing it. At something less than 5500 (manually shifting a C4), I sprayed the rocker arms and dropped a valve. Destroyed the engine - head, piston, and block. Hydraulic lifters start to get too much bounce. If you're running solid lifters, guide plates, threaded studs, etc, different story.

From my experience, I'd stay below 5K or else you may find this when you tear it down after it is towed home!

WP_000932.jpg

ouch!! i got some roller rocker arms, hyper-eutectic pistons, and im pretty sure they are hydraulic lifters since i dont need to be adjusting them.

Back