Manual trans separator plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought this might be interesting to some of the forum readers...

block plate cutout for pan clearance.PNG

This is a pic of the Lakewood Bellhousing's blocking plate with the oil pan clearance hole cut into it.

"oil pan clearance hole?" you ask...

Yes. When we installed the new TKO 600, 5 speed manual trans, with the 11" clutches and the 164 tooth flywheel and mated it to my rebuilt 408 stroker Cleveland, we had trans block plate clearance issues with the oil pan. Original pans were embossed in this area, I assume, for this clearance. I cannot find any literature addressing this topic. Can any of you guys shed some further light on this topic? All aftermarket plates offered for this application are just plain flat plate, without the clearance embossed into it...? ::shrug::

nobody knows anything about this...?
I don't know the why

However

My 351C block plate for the T5 looks like this

f27kut.jpg

The back of my oil pan does not protrude into the bell housing

mating surface.

I also looked at my old FMX block plate and it is also flat at

the oil pan area.

I'm curious why your oil pan extends past the bells mating surface.

Paul

What he said.

I didn't think the pan extended past the back face of the block.

Also, wouldn't that cut void the SFI cert?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen that or even heard of it. Something is very strange. Chuck
Well, I think you all might be a little surprised...

I just so happen to keep my Mach's original Cleveland in the shop, for project mock-ups and discussions just like this...

Cleveland Woodstove 1.jpg

...it's also a very nice piece of industrial art and works great as a heat sink!

I just so happen to keep my Mach's original Cleveland in the shop, for project mock-ups and discussions just like this...

...it's also a very nice piece of industrial art and works great as a heat sink!

So why does the oil pan extend into the bellhousing's mating surface????

First, I'll flip it up onto it's front end and bolt up an original, beadblasted and powdercoated Cleveland oil pan. (bought this off my buddy Bob on this forum) This engine and oil pan are not the ones in my car, that I had first posted the "trans block plate" pic of, to start this thread. The first pic when I started this thread was of my TKO 600's trans block plate (from American Powertrain) mounted to my Cleveland 408 stroker motor. The pan, which you can see through the clearance cutout in the plate (if you look close enough) is a Moroso T-pan. I will now show you how I had overhang with the Moroso pan on the 408 AND have overhang with the STOCK pan on the 351 block, sitting upon my woodstove.

Here she sits, ass end up...

20161210_165144.jpg

20161210_171135.jpg

20161210_170538.jpg

20161210_165524.jpg

This overhang would vary to as little as 3/32" up to 3/16" depending on whether you slid the pan toward the rear or towards the front, prior to tightening the pan bolts. (this is the "play" the pan's bolt holes give you)

Either way, the pan projects, is proud of, sticks out from the rear trans block plate mounting surface. I have two blocks, one on my stove and on in my car where I have noticed this. I do not know why this is, I just know it exists. I find it pretty interesting.

I did flip the block over again end-for end to check the alignment on the front of the block...

nobody knows anything about this...?
I don't know the why

However

My 351C block plate for the T5 looks like this

f27kut.jpg

The back of my oil pan does not protrude into the bell housing

mating surface.

I also looked at my old FMX block plate and it is also flat at

the oil pan area.

I'm curious why your oil pan extends past the bells mating surface.

Paul
I have been curious myself ever since we installed my engine and this trans block plate along with the TKO 600 in the summer of 2015. I have two Cleveland blocks which when the pans are mounted (a Moroso pan and/or a STOCK pan) the pans have a slight overhang. I'm thinking this is common and goes unnoticed...?

Back