Marti Says 351 Windsor in 1971 Convertible???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

73pony posted this in the BST section but wanted to put it here to see what everyone thinks as I have never seen or heard of a 1971-1973 Mustang with a 351 Windsor in it. Not really sure what to make of it, or if it is just a mistake on the Marti report? I could see if this was a very early 1971 that maybe a leftover Windsor got used, but this is a late year build (April 71). Pic below of Marti and link to car on ebay.

mt2gdw.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-Base-/152345313830?forcerrptr=true&hash=item23787d0226:g:-D4AAOSw4GVYRh7R&item=152345313830

Unfortunately, H code was used for both C and W engines for the same years. M code was also used for Windsor 4Vs in 1969. You would have thought that with all of the letters in the alphabet Ford could have used different ones.

Gotta wonder if the mistake was made by Ford, Kevin Marti, or if the Marti Report was edited by the seller or a previous owner.

The Marti Report could've been edited, since they come in PDF format, in addition to print form. Easy enough to do.

Even so, the Marti Reports are only as good as the data provided by Ford, so if they snuck a Windsor in as a special order or a corporate car, there's the issue... and sounds like it could be one of those no-kidding one-off rare cars, instead of another Frank Cone special. ;)

But then again, the use of the same engine code letters in earlier models could've been a simple clerical error when the data was pulled and populated into the Marti Report format (he could've seen 'H-Code' and been daydreaming about a '69 Mustang while producing the report, after all). The reports he produces cover all years of Mustangs up through the Fox-bodies, and several other Ford models/years as well.

Easy enough to contact Kevin Marti and ask what happened, I suppose.

I though weird too. If you look at the one so so photo of the engine it looks like a Cleveland to me. Doesn't the rad line go into the block in that photo if you zoom in?

That is a Cleveland 351. All the info I have shows no US built 71-73's with a 351 W. Would have been a lot less confusion and less miss-ordered parts if there had been different codes for the 2bl W and C 351's instead of the common "H". When the 4.6 V8 was released in 91 there two versions built with significant differences. They were built in the Romeo and Windsor engine plants and fortunately each engine had their own engine code.

My 71 Mach1's Marti reports show they had optional bumper guards which they did not have and were not offered on the 71-72 Mach 1's. Could be an error by staff at Marti's or bad info from Ford. Lots of opportunity for bad info to get passed on.

Unless she's a Bondo Queen and has old stop signs for floor patch panels, it looks like that would make someone a nice vert project!

Unfortunately, H code was used for both C and W engines for the same years. M code was also used for Windsor 4Vs in 1969. You would have thought that with all of the letters in the alphabet Ford could have used different ones.
Forgot that it was a 71 with all the odd things. I only have 72 & 73 so not up to speed on 71. Good info to learn if I have a brain cell left.

I am positive that it's a Marti error. I would contact them and ask how they determined that the H code is a Windsor from the Ford data. I'm very familiar with the data that Marti has and unless the engine code is different I don't see how they can determine a Windsor from a Cleveland. In 1970 this is a real issue as some 351 equipped mustangs did come with windsors instead of clevelands but there is no different engine code designation for those vehicles.

Back