Media Blasted Metal Prep?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
1985 Lincoln Town Car
2003 Nissan 350z
1994 Toyota Supra
Hey guys, just had a bunch of stuff blasted and was wondering what the process is for prepping it. Do I just wipe it down with wax and grease remover and rust bullet it?

IMG_5187.JPG

Got my Metal Blast and BlackShell ready

IMG_5190.JPG

Use a good metal prep, wear gloves so you dont get any oils from your hand on the parts.

look like you can get the paint on fairly quick before the blast starts to bleed out.(depends on humidity)

On parts that I have to weld or need to leave for a while, I have been using a can of ruct check rust converter, which will hold the blast from blushing for months, I just sand it out when i am done.

Hey guys, just had a bunch of stuff blasted and was wondering what the process is for prepping it. Do I just wipe it down with wax and grease remover and rust bullet it?

Depends on where the parts are going..on parts that are media blasted that are seen or need a top notch finish..you should 80 grit on the d.a...wipe down with wax & grease..tack cloth then epoxy prime..then top coat..anything else same procedure but you need the rust bullet first then black shell..for example on my engine compartment we wire wheeled to bare metal then 80 grit on the d.a...wax & grease then epoxy primer since I'm putting a show finish in my engine compartment..On the interior of the car we wire wheeled..80 grit on the d.a. then the metal blast then rust bullet.

Awesome thanks for the reply guys!

Depends on where the parts are going..on parts that are media blasted that are seen or need a top notch finish..you should 80 grit on the d.a...wipe down with wax & grease..tack cloth then epoxy prime..then top coat..anything else same procedure but you need the rust bullet first then black shell..for example on my engine compartment we wire wheeled to bare metal then 80 grit on the d.a...wax & grease then epoxy primer since I'm putting a show finish in my engine compartment..On the interior of the car we wire wheeled..80 grit on the d.a. then the metal blast then rust bullet.
Thanks Scott. One question.....is it necessary to d.a. the bare metal?

I used aircraft stripper to strip the paint in the engine compartment, then i wire wheeled it. So now I go over it with the d.a.?

I use a product by Loctite. It is called Exstends.rust converter,You can buy it at Home Depot. After I medea blast,I wash and dry to get the dust off, and then spray with the Exstends.Any rust will be turned a bluish black.You can store it this way until you are ready to paint it.I just wipe it down ,prime and paint it. I also use this on my bolts that have been blasted. They almost look as if they have been blued. I have had great luck with this product for many years.

Awesome thanks for the reply guys!

Thanks Scott. One question.....is it necessary to d.a. the bare metal?

I used aircraft stripper to strip the paint in the engine compartment, then i wire wheeled it. So now I go over it with the d.a.?
Alan,

I like to d.a with 80 since unless you can spray the parts right away (most don't & they sit a day or 2 sometimes even longer) it insures that your sprayiing on fresh clean metal

ahhhhhhhh gotcha!!

thanks Scott!

Ok. You sand at 80 then paint over it after prepping? I bring everything back up to at least 300 grit to prevent scratches from showing. Does something you use cover up all of the 80 grit scratches?

Back