Might be saying goodbye

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
72 mach 1 pass side.jpg

Its hard to even write this but im at a point in my life where it might be time to let the mustang go and get a newer nicer truck. After getting my 72 mach running after 8 years of work, it just sits. I need a truck, My ol 1992 bronco (daily driver) its just worn out and even though it runs good, its got rust that seems to double in size every time i look at it. Im dead sick of the 11-12 MPG, I bet i spend 3-400 per month on fuel alone. I guess im just thinking why sit on the money when I could use it for something I kind of need. Between Ice fishing, hunting, finishing the basement, my dogs and all my other man hobbies that I have made the bronco work for i just miss having a truck. I think I only put 75 miles on the mach since I got it running. sad

I have put over 13 years of work into the car, saving and buying as I went. I added up my recipts ( I have kept every one for every thing I have ever bought) and have just shy of 44k into her.

Im sure this has been beaten to death one way or another but Im thinking IF i do this id try for 25k. Ill post a few pics, It needs nothing as is but I have two small paint chips to fix, Interior is 95% stock, I redid everything behind the dash, new printed circuit to autometer gauges in the center dash console in the factory locations, basically if you removed the tach that Is temp mounted to the steering wheel it would look 100 bone stock. Everything works even the damn door buzzers:)

I need to install the rear tail light panel, and Would like to paint the black back on it. (lower half and hood) I already put the mach stripes back on they are just hard to see because of the dark green.

I also need to put tail pipes back on before I sell, mostly just minor details.

Of course the brand new 532, p51 heads, heavy built c6 and the 9" with 4:33s. Im guessing in the ball park of 650 hp. Leaks nothing, Suspention is all new or rebuilt with SSBC disc brakes in the front and stock drums in the rear. Its a wild wild ...... wild ride.

So let me hear some input, Do's donts, offers:) anything..

72 Mach 1 rear.jpg

100_0347.JPG

100_2170.JPG

100_2473.JPG

66 mustang 079.jpg66 mustang 078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, since you asked - DON'T DO IT!!! That is one of the sickest Mach 1's I've seen ever!

Had you thought about argent stripes and lowers? That would look awesome with the dark color. But I'll be the black stripes look great as well.

Yeah - my opinion: hang onto it. You'll be sorry when it's gone.

* edit: Is that a B&M Mega-Shifter? If so - SWEET! That's what I'm planning for mine.

Dont do it!! Get you a cheap ford ranger with some low miles on it...I paid 3200 for my 98 ford ranger with a 4 banger in it with 80,000 miles...i get 30 mpg..and run the dog out of it...its been everywere and alot i see make it too 300,000 that little 4cil is a good one...and still halls...Hope you dont have to sell..That is a pretty mustang

LIFE really is about choices!

Only you know your COMPLETE situation and what you want in the overall scheme.

I am probably in a completely different stage (of Life) than you and have come to the realization that there are certain things that I enjoy; certain things that I can afford; and certain things that make the most "sense" based on the other two "situations."

One thing I can pretty much guarantee you and that is that PLEASE do not expect to get ALL the money you put into your "love" back. On the other hand, certain things in life cannot be equaled by money.

Just my .02:)!

BT

Yep, b&m mega. Thing is that I don't need to sell it at all. I/we have 5 cars 2 dogs and no kids. 2 stangs, girlfriends 01 explorer with 178k, my 92 bronco with 148k, and a 92 miata I bought for 1500 that I use in the summer commute to work. So my 3 stall garage is full with cars that don't move. Im just thinking it would be nice to have a garage to use for things other than storage. None of our vehicles are what id call "road trip worthy". Though they all run good, they are just worn out, no reason to put $ in them. If I keep the mach ill prob switch to 3:50s and a t-56 swap.

Its also to the point where I cant/don't want to drive it anywhere in fear of idiots, and constant people saying "do a burnout". Maybe I just don't want the attention anymore... I do need a truck but want something very new if not brand new.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you (4 vehicles, no kids, etc...) and have a hard time justifying keeping my Jeep. We have my '97 Dodge Ram 4x4, my 1980 Jeep CJ-7, her '01 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, and my '71 Mach 1 (project). I rarely go four-wheelin' anymore, but I freakin' LOVE my Jeep. Just like with your Mach 1, I pretty much built it from the ground up and have a lot more money in it than I could fetch if I sold it. But there's nothing like cruising in the summer with no roof & doors, and everybody making positive comments... but like you, I'm worried about the other idiots as well. I don't know how bad I'd feel if my shiny Mach 1 got crashed because some dumb-ass was texting and found their way into my lane.

Personally, I'd probably sell the Bronco (or turn it into a 'huntin' rig' then watch the offers really come in) and get your new truck.

Good luck with your decision.

Man, I've enjoyed your Big Block tales, and have similar plans in mind for mine, someday! I really hate guys like you that total up a price tag of $ invested :D However, it is the reality of the dream that I've been avoiding :s

I even have a prospect for you sort of with a F-350 Dually, almost new, 2002 on eBay right now... We are selling since we don't really have the towing requirement anymore. But, we need the $ to pay off some business debt.

My opinion is instead of "taking a loss" on what you have invested in the Mach, finance a new truck with the almost nothing interest that is out there right now. I'm thinking that the muscle cars, ours included, are only going to appreciate as the econo boxes make their comeback as gas stays too expensive.

Beautiful car, good luck with the decision!

Yea I thought Id sell the bronco and miata for sure, I could probly get 2500 for the miata and 3000 for the bronco. Which could get a decent down payment on a new rig. But if I do sell the mach, for realistically 18-20k, id basically have 18k i could put right on a new truck.

I also thought about painting the bronco and selling for maybe 4-5k.

being here id South Dakota I need a solid 4x4.

Then I also thought about selling the mach and the miata and finish the basement. Keep the bronco and do the bodywork, cause I do really like my bronco also. Ive had 7 of them ha, I do get sick of the rough ride and the crap mileage and the rattles. I also do like not having any vehicle payments...which is one of my main reasons for wanting someting to sell the mach to basically pay 50% or more on a new truck and have a small monthly payment.

About a year ago I was really interested in getting a diesel F250/350 for the milage and the power but the size is what stopped me. I have a 3 stall garage and having room is important to me with all my other hobbies. My bronco is litterally just shy maybe an inch of not fitting in the garage thats with no lift on 31" tires. My brother has a F350 and it just barely makes it in also. But with the friggin cold winters here I dont want to have to deal with plugging in a diesel either.

Im actually slightly interested in a 2011-2012 tacoma, a work buddy has one and it consistantly gets 19 mixed and 22 highway and thats with the double cab/4 door shortbox and the 236hp/266lbft tq v6 Thats 30 more hp than my 351w in my bronco makes and double the mileage. Ive also done some work with the toyotas and they are tough little trucks. Ford has always been my brand of choice but I like the style and looks of the tacoma. Of course id love a new 4 dr F150 but the 14-16mpg and size is not much different than where I am now with the bronco.

Ill never tow anything over 5000 lbs hopefully ill get a boat someday, which a tacoma can pull just fine....

Its such a scary thought to someday look in the garage and no mach1 sitting there...

New is just way too expensive any way you look at it IMHO.
Very true, and id be just fine with a couple year old vehicle. I would like to know what its like to own a vehicle that has never had any "previous ower" mods. Because we all know that 90% of people that think they can work on a vehicle actually cant and shouldnt. I learned that when i got the mach, there was a t shirt stuffed behind that was holding the crappy tachometer up in the giant hole that the p/o cut in the non-tach side of my dash gauge. when he cut the hole he cut the printed circuit out with it and it took me for ever to figure out why my fuel gage never worked.

peace of mind is expensive i guess. These are just examples but i worked in a repair shop for a while and ive seen diapers chicken wired to the bottom of an oil pan instead of replacing a front crank seal. My broncos paint was very deep and shiny when I bought it from a guy, after about a year of sitting in the sun, some areas that he repainted faded out really bad, (cheap paint im assuming and now its a checker board of flat black and gloss black. Im just babbling now. I still cant make up my mind about the mach, at least im in no hurry

lol I normally enjoy when I hear people yell for me to do burnouts. Don't sell the Mach 1, drop some other hobby and drive the stang more.

If you sell the Mach 1 you will eventually miss it to some extent, and it will become another one of those "Back when I used to have it" stories.

If you sell it and buy a new truck, it will eventually wear out and you will just have another regular worn out vehicle cluttering up your garage.

I am not supportive of selling project cars lol :p

It's a very soft market out there for modified 71-73 Mustangs.

The 73 disco Mach1 sold for $6K on Ebay. I'm not comparing your car to that one, but, If you put your car on Ebay with say a $15K starting bid don't be surprised if no one bids. It's nothing personal, it's just people want an almost perfect car in the color they want and they will say on the sidelines until their dream car comes up for sale. The people that buy the $6K cars figure they don't have a lot to lose and can take a chance. You triple that dollar amount and people get a lot pickier. You can list the car starting at $10K with a reserve of your choosing and you'll find out real quick what the most someone out there is willing to pay.

In my opinion if you have to ask you probably aren't ready to sell yet.

Of course I'm not ready ha, I do have my 66 still so I wouldnt be out of the stang game completely. I do need a truck when it comes down to it tho, and one way or another ill have to get one.

And if I did a burnout for every dingdong that asked id be in jail. The compliments are nice I guess

In the end only you can answer the question.....but IMHO don't sell it....I sold my 70 Mach One 15 years ago and have regretted it ever since.( still a sore spot with my wife and I )

Why don't you check out some of the local repo auctions.....you might be able to get a nice newer truck for a decent price.

i have not driven my car in at least 4 months now i feel your pain. after i spend 4 years mechanically restoring the car and still having various expensive problems with it i needed a HUGE break i have thought about selling it but i'm too lazy really. I wouldn't mind a trade up to a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT :)

i have not driven my car in at least 4 months now i feel your pain. after i spend 4 years mechanically restoring the car and still having various expensive problems with it i needed a HUGE break i have thought about selling it but i'm too lazy really. I wouldn't mind a trade up to a 2011 or 2012 5.0 GT :)
No need to sell you can have both and for all the talk of selling because you dont use it I look at it like a 1000 horse power you dont need to use it but its nice to know when you want to its there:D

2011-12-20_20-53-54_671.jpg

lowered.jpeg

Latest posts

Back