Mix n match

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Ok so I wasn’t happy with the current engine. Just not knowing it’s history and a few little things so the wife was good enough to give me the ok to go a new 351 Cleveland. Nice build putting out around 400hp at the engine.

Old motor out. Started to fit up new motor. Couldn’t get the distributor from my old motor to fit. Apparently older 351 blocks have a 13mm hole at the bottom shaft the later blocks are 12.5mm (not sure in inches but you guys would know). All good, a full new electronic ignition setup on its way.

Next issue, making sure things fitted up and couldn’t get the starter motor into sandwich plate. Noticed the new flex plate is bigger than my current one. Mine was a 157 tooth and new is larger with 164 teeth. Spline off transmission is 26. So apparently after inspection it seems I’ve got a C4 transmission from a Windsor matched to a Cleveland bellhousing. Think I got that right.

So apparently not the end of the world. Just need to balance my old flex plate accordingly for new motor and stick with it and the smaller 10.5” stall converter.

We will get there 😆

Attachments

• 9CE6FBC0-CE17-4536-A2BD-ABB1096E5B22.jpeg
    9CE6FBC0-CE17-4536-A2BD-ABB1096E5B22.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 10
Back