MODEL BUILD VINTAGE MPC NOW AMT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Ok been wanting to build up a vintage mpc boss 351 kit for some time..I had one sitting I picked up that was built but your typical not so great job..I scored a few nib still sealed amt boss 351 kits (former mpc) so here we go using the body of the one that was built with parts of a new kit..plus some other 1 off parts going to resto mod this one..Got the body stripped & a few test shots of the stance..More to come as I go

IMG_0911.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0922.JPG

Coooool! ::thumb::

I have the AMT kit in the picture also, along with a handful of others (Testors, Aoshima, Doyusha, and several of the Mach 1 Funny Cars recently re-released - Bounty Hunter, Hot Rod, Blue Max) waiting to be built. My biggest complaint about the AMT & Testors kits have to do with the grille and front bumpers: all year models seem to have headlight surrounds from '73s (regardless of the sport lamps used), and almost all of the domestically made re-released models have '73 bumpers.

I'm guessing that's why you went with the classic MPC body with new chassis pieces and parts, eh?

Looks awesome - can't wait to see it come together! :D

Very cool indeed! I have a few previously built out of print Cougar bodies, and parts in 1/24 scale. I keep wanting to get back to work on them too, but I just can't seem to find the motivation. I sit and look at them and make plans, and then put them away...

Very cool indeed! I have a few previously built out of print Cougar bodies, and parts in 1/24 scale. I keep wanting to get back to work on them too, but I just can't seem to find the motivation. I sit and look at them and make plans, and then put them away...The plan here was to take the crunched Cobra, and build a "W" Code GTE...Someday...

All my projects 056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on occasion curious of this hobby. But as a kid we couldnt afford them, so I never really got started. Never had Hot Wheels, trains, go cart tracks, go carts, three wheelers none of the stuff my friends had. So fast forward I have no interest but I admire others patience and crafty interest.

most of the 71-72 kits from amt or mpc were reboxed 1973 versions of the mustang.

there was an early version of the AMT boss 351 that was a correct 1971 body with more correct grill/front bumper and lower valance.

they used the same mold for the AMT 1971-1972 promotional bodies for ford.

that older body had raised lettering on the plastic fenders and trunk and says mach 1 mustang on it.

I have one that i have been saving for something special.

there is a story i heard that the reason the 71-72 version of the kits and promos is so rare was they modified the original die into the 1973 version and the 71-72 version was lost forever.

so after 1973 all the re-released 71-72 cars are in fact 1973 versions with a modified grill that has the turn signals horizontal and it is why non of the details match.

promo 1971-1972 cars go for over 400$ if you can find them.

the correct model kits are cheaper but usually they are glue bombs and very difficult to restore.

mpc and amt both rereleased kits more then once so you have to look for the original release model kits.

i used a mpc kit that i knew was incorrect then fudged the front end to look like a 71-72 car

lol 72h so what your saying is AMT dis'd our cars just like everybody else :D

so back in the day I use to listen to my friends discuss the quality of models...details detail parts more realistic etc. So who was the high end providers with the intricate parts?

most of the 71-72 kits from amt or mpc were reboxed 1973 versions of the mustang.

there was an early version of the AMT boss 351 that was a correct 1971 body with more correct grill/front bumper and lower valance.

they used the same mold for the AMT 1971-1972 promotional bodies for ford.

that older body had raised lettering on the plastic fenders and trunk and says mach 1 mustang on it.

I have one that i have been saving for something special.

there is a story i heard that the reason the 71-72 version of the kits and promos is so rare was they modified the original die into the 1973 version and the 71-72 version was lost forever.

so after 1973 all the re-released 71-72 cars are in fact 1973 versions with a modified grill that has the turn signals horizontal and it is why non of the details match.

promo 1971-1972 cars go for over 400$ if you can find them.

the correct model kits are cheaper but usually they are glue bombs and very difficult to restore.

mpc and amt both rereleased kits more then once so you have to look for the original release model kits.

i used a mpc kit that i knew was incorrect then fudged the front end to look like a 71-72 car
Nice work on your 1/24th slot conversion..Looks like somebody is getting ready to build a 1/24th --1/32th track setup

I think Ertl was the first to produce this kit..Then Mpc aquired some of the Ertl line so Mpc /Ertl then Amt acquired some of the Mpc line I have the 2 but not the first Ertl Issue.

IMG_0946.JPG

Just a little sample prior model I Finished up a few months ago

IMG_0557.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0593.JPGIMG_0600.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
many Japanese companies produced 71 mach 1 kits in 1/24 and 1/12 scale like otaki, and doyusha

these kits had much more detail then American kits at the time.

the only issue was they had European DOT specs that required different lighting or more side markers.

but you can always get rid of them.

here is a otaki version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSF-Vintage-1-12-Otaki-MACH-1-MUSTANG-built-up-model-kit-OT-3-58-4500-/161568195863?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item259e370517

there are many things incorrect on the model as with any but the level of detail is much higher.

doyusha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doyusha-1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach1-Model-kit-set-With-both-1-12-and-1-24-scale-kits-/231440320238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e2eb06ee

they had working doors and even the hood latches.

i even own a very rare R/C version

Back