Modern Driveline quote

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,

Pulled the trigger on the TKX today.

I will have a 1350 type slip joint, pretty sure I will just have to make a u joint change in the front and should wind up having the front and rear u joints being the same.

Not 100% on the driveshaft length, MDL offers a 50'' driveshaft for our cars and my current is 50- 21/32'' and have 1-1/4'' clearence with the suspension fully loaded. the bellhousing spacer is 11/16'' thick, my secret weapon is  a super short Yukon gear rear yoke that measures .730'' shorter than the standard 4'' Daytona yoke, gonna be a wait and see situation.

Paul says I should start seeing packages in about a week, Paul IS a super dude and we talked quite a bit, come to find out he has a brother about 2 hrs. from me with a 7173 as well. small world.
I installed in my 70 mustang a Tremec TKO 600, quick time Bell housing, Hydraulic clutch, Kevlar clutch, trans cross member all from MDL.

I recently measured, ordered and installed a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft also from MDL.  The tremec has a 1350 u joint and I have a Yukon 9" center with a 1350 pinion yoke. The install was flawless thanks to MDLs knowledge and support. 

That said,, the installation and setup of the hydraulic clutch and throw-out bearing was a new experience. It was straight forward,. The hard part was working in a very cramped space to install the master cylinder and linkage.

Good luck with your install

20201215_192745.jpg

20201105_104108.jpg

20210614_104419.jpg

20210615_130924.jpg

iahc_40003.jpg

20210827_175142.jpg

20200301_150449.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,

After some unavoidable delays the TKX is in (well partially ) re -dialed the bellhousing and only had to make a small adjustment to the parallelism of the engine block to the face of the bell opening, I did this by adding two pieces of .016'' shim stock  between the separator plate and bell at the top 2 bellhousing bolts.

When I then measured the concentricity it was only .002'' , I bet I made 3 or 4 complete 360's to verify.

I was able to remove the toploader without removing the exhaust but knew that was not going to be the case when installing the TKX , boy was I right.

That darn TKX shifter and the shifter opening, very tight to the right side and the Kwik stik shifter, finally she went in, all in one instant and I was in.

Installed the transmission bolts, then pumped the transmission jack and there is my problem, the side tower of the shifter is really tight to the totally virgin OEM shifter opening, I cannot get the TKX high enough in the rear to install the crossmember and rear mount, l now have the crossmember installed with no mount, just to let it rest in place.

It appears as I  will need to trim about 3/4 to1'' from the right side of my shifter opening or cut out the opening as a whole and move it over just enough to clear and still fit my full length console.

Will be calling Paul at MDL tomorrow, just to verify I have the correct shifter, although they only list one for our cars.

On the other hand it looks good so far for not having to buy a new driveshaft by using the super short (3.5'' Daytona) pinion yoke.

That yoke is on a newly rebuilt 3.70 center section that is ready to install, just wanted to have the trans in place first.

Sorry I have been away for a while as of late but my computer keypad has issues and I am using an alternative on screen keypad that I just learned to use, being a one finger typist is  really slow.

Just a small update,
The TKX leaks any you won't believe where ! .
Thru the speedometer cable at the speedometer head !.
I went for a drive and noticed the floor mat was wet as well as parts of the dash.
Called Modern driveline and talked to one of their tech people and he knew all about the issue, but stated that Tremec has done nothing to resolve the issue.
They said the problem is with the vent and MDL was kind enough to send me a TKO vent which they state will resolve the leak.
The TKO vent is pn. Alm 304810
Other than that this transmission has been probably the best improvement I have ever made to my car.
BBoilermaster

I have a TKX as well, Planning to install very soon. I also called and ordered the other vent you mentioned. Thanks for that tip!
Wondering though..... that did you do about the shifter (tower) not making it into the hole in the floorboard? Did ya do some cutting or was there another issue that needs to be addressed?

Thanks!

Ripper679,
as for the fitting of the shifter to the shifter opening.
I first loosened up the motor mounts at the engine block and all the bolts for the motor mount perches and pulled the tail shaft to the left with a non ratcheting strap old man power only, no mechanical advantage.
this netted me approx. 1/8'' at the shifter, but I still had to remove about 1/8'' from the rh shifter opening to cleanly get the tkx into reverse.
If you have an existing transmission in your car now, I would reccomend doing the motor mount and perch thing with your (old) transmission still in place.
Also, had I known of the difficulty I was going to have with that little shifter stub going thru the shifter opening, I would have removed it beforehand.
MDL states that (some) will have to shave the rh side of the opening and some will not. you would only have the issue with trying to get the transmission into reverse.
are you going with aftermarket bellhousing or OEM bell and spacer ?.
What engine ? if high hp, I suggest a diaphragm style for ease of pedal pressure.
Boilermaster

Thanks for the insight! I'm running a 550hp 351W stroker (412ci total). Using a quicktime skattershield with a Kevlar clutch (all from modern driveline). Looks like I will look into pulling the shifter nub out of the trans. Is this difficult?

Ripper679, no not difficult at all, remove the nut from one side, i believe
right hand side and rethread onto the opposite side to pull the stud out and tap on the stub to remove. when done simply reverse the procedure.
You may want to mark your orientation of the stud ends, cannot remember
if the stud is a simple pinch bolt or if there is a collar on it, marking one end would make it foolproof in any case.
Boilermaster

Sweet thanks! So I gotta a remove the red cover and boot around the shifter first?
Just going from memory here on the shifter on top of the trans.....
Thanks for the advice!
-Manny

Back