More Paint Tips Sought

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I last sprayed 3 days ago. All parts, orange and black, have been left in the bright California sun to dry.

All of my painted parts are still soft. If I press into the paint, I can easily make an indentation. I can scrape off about as much paint as I want with my nail.

Very disappointing.

Damn it hurts to hear of your repeated failures. Box up the parts, tell me what color you want them and ship them to me and I will do them for free. You will get back factory quality paint work.

(has anyone ever seen factory tins with primer or flawless finishes?)

AND I REALLY WILL IF YOU WANT.

The reason rattle can paint takes forever to dry is that it is un catalyzed acrylic enamel. If you spray too heavy of a coat on, you trap solvent in the lower layers. There is no chemical reaction involved with rattle can paint. Therefore the solvent has to leave the paint through evaporation. Even applied correctly it can take years for rattle can paint to fully cure.

Molulecular adhesion of one pigmented chemical product to another disimular pigment chemical product is typically dependent on preperation of the distressed paint surface. If your insensate enough to not realize that this is withought a doubt the most decisive aspect of of the outcome you seek. PAY A GOOD PAINTER!
Its all in the prep work, if your body work is bad the paint will be bad. No amount of paint will cover up bad prep work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn it hurts to hear of your repeated failures. Box up the parts, tell me what color you want them and ship them to me and I will do them for free. You will get back factory quality paint work.

(has anyone ever seen factory tins with primer or flawless finishes?)

AND I REALLY WILL IF YOU WANT.
You are a good man for such an offer. But, somehow I have to work this out....but your offer is taken under advisement.

Currently, on Round 2 with DUPLICOLOR...

Thin coats and extra time between them! You might even want to do a spit coat for the first coat if you have stripped back to bare metal. That is a mist that does not completely cover the metal, just looks like a haze of color.

If all else fails, give the parts to your wife the the appropriate paint color in a fingernail polish bottle.

If you are getting dull spots it could be a couple of things, waiting to long between coats,you want it to flash off but not dry, trying to cover filler that has not been primed correctly, when covering chips 1st feather sand the chip with 320 or 240 apply primer let it dry 24 hrs resand with 320 or 400 tack off and paint. you want your can about 8 to 10 inches from surface. some engine enamel needs alot of heat to dry.

In my ongoing effort, I contacted Rustoleum regarding use of their primers and paints and have not had a response.

But I did get a response from Duplicolor. Wow...this would take weeks.

============

Thank you for contacting Dupli-Color. We appreciate your response.

I would not use the Filler Primer prior to the Engine Enamel if you are using these products on a substrate that get hotter then 120 degrees F as this is the maximum amount of heat that the Filler Primer can withstand. If your substrate does not get hot then yes you can use the Filler Primer prior to the Engine Enamel. The plan that you described about sanding and recoating is ideal and should be followed:

1. Sand with 120 grit sand paper.

2. Wash with soap and water. Dry.

2. Apply Primer Coat.

3. Wait 7 days.

4. Sand.

5. Apply primer coat.

6. Wait 7 days.

7. Sans with 400 grit sand paper.

8. Apply primer coat.

9. Apply enamel coat within 1 hour of primer coat.

10. Wait 7 days.

11. Sand with 400 grit sand paper.

12. Wash with soap and water. Dry.

13. Apply enamel.

I hope you found this information helpful. Please email me back if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Jill

Hello'

it isn't painting but eastwood company makes home powder coating equipment. Who knows maybe harbor freight does too. Just a possibility.

Last but not least for black you can buy appliance epoxy and it goes on really smoothe.

Hope it helps

Jenny & Roshelle

The best way I can tell you is to have a light source that will reflect on the surface you are painting and just spray enough to give an even gloss. repeat until covered.

Back