More scoops for NASA hood?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brown Mustang looks too "upscale" for a Mustang. That front end and hood would look great on a Cougar though.

I have an extra NACA hood. Ever since that thought hit me I've stared long and hard at that hood but it's just too nice to cut up. However, If I find a less-than-desirable hood I'm breaking out the plasma cutter and MiG and I'm going to make one.

1972MustangSVH,

The hood scoop on the brown mach 1 looks really good. 1972MustangSVH, can you render us one with the Pony emblem in the center of the grill, driving lights on the left and right hand side of the center grill, aka, Shelby look and use the 71-73 hood locks?

mustang7173
OK,But I'm still working on the Torino/Mustang from the "what if " thread.
This IS your Torino mustang hybrid right here.

sz7hvr.jpg
[/img]

vn12jd.jpg
[/img]

Man that brown Mach 1 with hide-a-ways is very nice. I bought my first 1971 Mustang around 199 0 - it was though a plastic model 1:25 but the first thing I did was to modify '67 RS Camaro hide-a-ways for the Mach 1... brings me memories. Really dunno where it is nowadays...

I'll try to find an ol' magazine scetch where was a '71 Mach 1 modified with 1970 Superbird front facia. It was actually mean looking muthur. Those front cones & facia's are reproduced by Janak or similar but they are expensive as it gets - so not much desire to buy a set with +10 grand and then cut it in pieces. I will scan the article and let you guys see it.

I also found al ol' testshot from one of my scoops I was only mocking.

scooppi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Baby!

Lord, please, please, please, let me win the lottery....
Wow, this is sick! I always wondered what a good way to modify our front end would look like, and I now see that you have found it! I also want to see what a shaker would look like on a standard hood... :)

I have some thing congealing in my imagination. I've been throwing away the really "custom" thoughts and trying to stay with the linage. Anyone want to talk about a "standard" 71-73 hood pulled from the thoughts of a '67 shelby hood. There are some really interesting lines on the standard hood that get ignored.

I've kinda thought about adding ducts like on the Tiger LAT optional hood, like this:

ddc2716b-2804-41e2-bd59-f922dfbdac6e_zps53039c40.jpg

Kind of resembles the '69-70 Shelby hood.

Dad 'glassed in an aluminum plate directing cool air to the open air cleaner on the green car. The extraction ducts do work well on the notoriously hot running Tiger.

Used NASCAR ducts can be found all over ebay, in many shapes and sizes. I'll do one if I find a free flat hood someday. Going to try to do the NASCAResque air cleaner to cowl assembly first.

I have some thing congealing in my imagination. I've been throwing away the really "custom" thoughts and trying to stay with the linage. Anyone want to talk about a "standard" 71-73 hood pulled from the thoughts of a '67 shelby hood. There are some really interesting lines on the standard hood that get ignored.
One day I was squatting down cleaning my font driver wheel and started looking at the top curve of the front fenders. This got me thinking how cool it would look if a 67 Shelby style hood was grafted to the center portion of a standard hood and the height of it followed the lines on the tops of the fenders. I had an 06 GT with a trufiber gts 3 hood on it and really liked the way it looked. I contacted trufiber and asked if they would be interested in prototyping a Shelby style hood for the 71-73 mustangs. Their response was "At this time we are only focusing on late model Mustangs". Oh well, guess we will have to collectively come up with something on our own! :cool:

I'm working on a drawing with the thought that the standard hood recessed area is the bottom half of the inlet. So far it keeps coming out "dorky" and too close to the NACA hood. Bringing the inlets out to within a few inches of the hood is hokey too regardless of the inlet size because of the curve... still chewing on this one.

One day I was squatting down cleaning my font driver wheel and started looking at the top curve of the front fenders. This got me thinking how cool it would look if a 67 Shelby style hood was grafted to the center portion of a standard hood...
This?

1z5kn60.jpg

-Kurt

On the brown car with hideaways...

I'd lose the round driving lights (fill in the bumper) and go with rectangular ones under the bumper and closer to the amber lights.

Slim rectangular housings will probably go with the lines of the car better.

And a single Mustang emblem (or maybe a GT emblem) offset from center.

One day I was squatting down cleaning my font driver wheel and started looking at the top curve of the front fenders. This got me thinking how cool it would look if a 67 Shelby style hood was grafted to the center portion of a standard hood...
This?

1z5kn60.jpg

-Kurt
Yup, you see the merit but theres something missing, I just can't wrap a thought around it. There needs to be angle or something, hell, I don't know, it's there though... can I doodle on that pic?

Yup, you see the merit but theres something missing, I just can't wrap a thought around it. There needs to be angle or something, hell, I don't know, it's there though... can I doodle on that pic?
Put a 1973 grill on it. The feature lines of the standard hood never matched up to the base '71/72 grill (granted, the grill itself doesn't match anything, IMO) to begin with, but the vertical lamps of both '73 grills perfectly match the feature lines of the standard hood:

7105900.jpg

Enlarging the nostrils a bit might help too. Doodle at your heart's content. Wasn't my picture to start with.

-Kurt

No idea; the photo is from a website referencing the car and the owner. Only photo that I've ever seen of it.

It sends chills down my spine every time I see it. The front end cannot be any more perfect than that - and I'm not usually a fan of the blackout look. The flat hood is essential - a NACA hood would absolutely ruin it.

-Kurt

You are right, that front end is just perfect, I love it too..

I remember it was featured in a magazine, but I can't find it at all.. That car is perfect with the standard hood, blacked out grille.. I think I will go that way with mine!

Back