MSD 6a

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach I
351c 2v
highly optioned

67 Mustang Convertible
1 of 35 Diamond Blue
Survivor
hooked up to our original tach. anybody got this? I'm am not sure the Summit guy is telling me the right thing. Just something about the conversation says he is not catching on that I want to run the original tach. "Sir....those cars didnt have tachs"

LOL.....

So technology indicates I need a lead from the box to the tach with possible need for a converter of some type. Anybody?

to run the msd6a and your stock tach you will need this tach adapter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8920

This is what im running on mine. The original coil picked up off the + side of the coil now the msd6a it will read off of it.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/msd-8920_frm28572.pdf

Theres another thread or 2 about it on here but cant find it right now.
I have the 6AL2 and bought that tach adapter, never could get my tach to work again and it worked fine before I put in the box and the new distributor and Ive never got back to working on it again. Its on the 'list' of things to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a unit that came on my mach 1 that was connected to the MSD ignition for what I guess was the Stock Tach. I dont need it anymore since Im going to use an AutoMeter which is a direct connect your welcome to it all I need is shipping cost! When I get home I'll get the Model # off of it!

I have a unit that came on my mach 1 that was connected to the MSD ignition for what I guess was the Stock Tach. I dont need it anymore since Im going to use an AutoMeter which is a direct connect your welcome to it all I need is shipping cost! When I get home I'll get the Model # off of it!
Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry forgot to post what it is! It's a Universal Tach Adapter model 8920 made by Autotronic Controls Corp which I believe is MSD. Let me know if you want it and I'll box it up!

Back