Mustang 71-73, Cougar 71-73 - Shock Tower Export Brace

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Maier setup is definitely a better option but being a one piece unit the shipping cost might be prohibitive for us international buyers

Wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate something like this at home I reckon

Perhaps I will get the additional TCP Monte Carlo setup when I'm not bankrupt
WERE CAN I GET A SET FOR MY &# MUSTANG

Does anyone make a plain old export brace for our cars similar to the ones available for 1970 & before? (And similarly priced)?

Wait, what about what the Aussie said:

Our Aussie Falcons 1967 onwards, which are near identical, have never used shock tower braces and never heard of any problems even on race cars

Who has the data to prove we need any of these? Why do the Aussie‘s not see any effect from the lack of these braces? Just an inquiry mind . . .

WERE CAN I GET A SET FOR MY &# MUSTANG
I got the Meier, but the DYI kit where the pieces were separate. You need to call to order the DYI version. It takes some work to adapt it but if you have a welder and angle grinder is doable. I cut the tubes to length, bent the cross tube and built the rear cowl bracket from a 2x2 steel angle. Then I welded it all together and painted it. Meier's is for a 70 or earlier which has a straight cowl so his rear bracket won't work. I also have the ram air plenum smack in the middle and above the distributor so had to go further forward with the cross brace. It also clears the A/C compressor.I also have Maier's coil overs so with his you would need to unload the spring/shock to remove the tower brackets. Since I wanted to be able to remove it quickly in case of getting stranded on the road to do whatever work I replaced the bolts with studs and held the coil with nuts. Then I placed the brackets on top of the nuts and added a second set of nuts. In that way I can independently remove the crossbar brackets without unloading the coil/shocks. I had to open the inner hole of the bracket a little. It sounds like a lot of work and it is, but doable with patience. The result is a very nice custom made MC and cross brace that it is easy to remove just in case.

20220428_200832.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the Maier style brace for a couple years. It is a cool (ish) place to put your free hand when you are deep in the engine bay tuning on the carburetor and distributor. Way better than pushing yourself off a scalding hot valve cover.

Since the thread is old enough that the link in my previous post is broken here is a new one to me building a Maier style brace with their strut tower plates.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/shock-tower-brace-tacked-together-mike-maier-copy-for-71-73.31902/

Back