my 1971 351 Boss restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Abudi, a couple questions for you: how hard was the headliner to put in? And, did you get new sunvisors and reuse the hardware, or are the the original sunvisors?
actually the headliner was easy. i had the headliner hanging on the rods for around a week or so. important is to have the right room temperature (at least 75 degrees F) otherwise the glue might not work properly. you start placing the headliner rods in the right position, since there are 3 holes that might take a while. usually the right position is when you can turn the rod freely toward the roof.then you take the 2 hooks and fasten the rear rod to the body. then you glue the headline in the front to the frame....always start from the middle and work your way out. same thing is done at the rear. best would be to have the 2 people for the sides. if you have 2 people then you can pull the side parts at the same time...do you know what i mean?? for the sides start from the FRONT and work yourself to the rear.

it sound complicated but it's actually easy. if i weren't so far away i'd come over to help :)

the sunvisors are actually the old ones. they are a little lighter as you can see. they were ok so i just pulled them off the pivot and cleaned the pivot with steel wool to have the chrome looking good. the sunvisor itself was just cleaned with soap water and a rag :)

cheers

abudi

does anyone have a tip for me on this question:

here's a little problem i have: whenever i turn on the ignition the indicated fuse gets busted. this fuse in in charge of the brake warning lamp and the fuel guage. does anyone have an idea where i should start looking? i can't seem to find out what causes the fuse to blow the whole time. my boss has a tach and rear heated window.....if anyone has had this problem pls help me!!

what would really help me is to know which users are on that fuse. then i could check each part on that line.

thanks

abudi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Abudi! How are you!?? Hey.... it is a repetitive thing to say that you are doing a FANTASTIC resto job in this Boss... Is it amazing your detailing my friend so, congrats!!...

Did you find the A pillar trims?? I´m not sure but i may have a spare as my car came with almost a spare interior trim cause the last owner livedin the US and bought a hole car, parted it out and shipped tons of stuff for his uruguayan mustang... my mustang this days :p

If you didn´t find them let me know and i can at least search for them just in case you cant find them close to where you are... I´ll be happy to send them to you no charge at all Abudi!

Keep the good work!

Hello Abudi! How are you!?? Hey.... it is a repetitive thing to say that you are doing a FANTASTIC resto job in this Boss... Is it amazing your detailing my friend so, congrats!!...

Did you find the A pillar trims?? I´m not sure but i may have a spare as my car came with almost a spare interior trim cause the last owner livedin the US and bought a hole car, parted it out and shipped tons of stuff for his uruguayan mustang... my mustang this days :p

If you didn´t find them let me know and i can at least search for them just in case you cant find them close to where you are... I´ll be happy to send them to you no charge at all Abudi!

Keep the good work!
thanks for you very kind words.

i just talked to don from ohio mustangs and he has a pair for me.

if you have a engine compartment light that works i'd be interested.

this light is on the passenger side of the hood.

thanks

abudi

Keep the good work!
thanks for you very kind words.

i just talked to don from ohio mustangs and he has a pair for me.

if you have a engine compartment light that works i'd be interested.

this light is on the passenger side of the hood.

thanks

abudi
Great to hear you find that trim Abudi!... As the engine bay light, unfortunatelly i dont have a spare of that... Recentrly i installed the one i had in my car :(

But i saw repro of those for sale here and there and besides, i think this particular item was not only for mustangs and certainly not specific for sportsroof bodies so it should be an easy find...

Hope you get it!!

i was able to solve short circuit problem with a friend of mine who is an electrician. the problem was that the idle solenoid was causing the short circuit. for some odd reason the plus end of the wire was on the metal body of the solenoid which then caused the fuse to blow. now this part was a NOS part which was a little disappointing. once we found the problem we solved it by "welding" the plus wire back on the right position.

the horn was the next problem. the rim blow horn switch was a little too hard which caused the horn to blow the entire time. well replacing that was easy and done in 15 min and now everything is working fine :)

now i can finally drive to the austrian motor inspection place to have the boss registered...but i'll probably do that in april or may.

abudi

i was able to take out the boss today for a little spin :) it's hard to believe that there are only 5 years between my k-code and the boss. the power of the 351B is unbelievable...it's brut force rather that acceleration! my mach 1, 351W 4bb, feels like a worn out 289 2bb :-(

i have to adjust the timing a little better and double check the carb because when i turn off the engine it keeps running for around 3 revolutions and then goes out. now a few friends told me to use 98 octane gas rather than the 95 i hope that works.

lg

abudi

the first signature of the boss

p.s. first video of the reassembled boss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it´s done? Congrats. That Boss looks sweet. I can still remember when you announced on the other forum that you had just bought it and I followed your whole documentation on the rebuild.

Nice to see the final product!

::goodjob::

So, it´s done? Congrats. That Boss looks sweet. I can still remember when you announced on the other forum that you had just bought it and I followed your whole documentation on the rebuild.

thanks mike,

well it's not really finished yet. there are so many little things here and there that need to be adjusted so i'll still be working on the boss for a while.

-) engine timing

-) suspension alignment

-) a few electrical problems

-) etc etc etc

but that's the fun part of this hobby...there's always something to do on these old cars :)

abudi

thanks mike,

well it's not really finished yet. there are so many little things here and there that need to be adjusted so i'll still be working on the boss for a while.

-) engine timing

-) suspension alignment

-) a few electrical problems

-) etc etc etc

but that's the fun part of this hobby...there's always something to do on these old cars :)

abudi
Thumbs up Abudi!!... you did a fantastic job and looking at the video... WOOOWWW... that old thing sounds something! :p

You are my idol! :p Congrats!!

hi,

i got the quarter window trim panels today from don. thanks to ohio mustang supply i was able to detail my boss correctly. thanks a million don!!

OHIO MUSTANG SUPPLY

www.ohiomustang.com

abudi

the broken trim

the used but very good condition parts

hi,

i got the quarter window trim panels today from don. thanks to ohio mustang supply i was able to detail my boss correctly. thanks a million don!!

OHIO MUSTANG SUPPLY

www.ohiomustang.com

abudi

the broken trim

the used but very good condition parts

Fantastic Abudi... And yes... Thumbs up to Don that is always helpíng us...

You know... i broke one of my trims like yours were :( It seems they are fragile at that point... F**K! je!!... The good thing is the little tip that fell of went directly into the inner quarter so i may be able to fix that somehow... If i cant, then i know Don can help me like he did with you :)

yeah thanks to don and a bunch of other 71-73 enthusiasts i was able to complete the job. next up to bat is to overhaul my brake proportioning valve. i'll be posting the rebuild once i get all the parts.

something like this:

http://www.musclecarresearch.com/valve-rebuild-kh

abudi

yeah thanks to don and a bunch of other 71-73 enthusiasts i was able to complete the job. next up to bat is to overhaul my brake proportioning valve. i'll be posting the rebuild once i get all the parts.

something like this:

abudi
Fantastic link Abudi... I spent houndreds of hours trying to make my original prop valve works again but couldn´t reach success!!.. In my case, in my car, someone before me worked on the valve... that is always bad!!... I "solve" the problem using an adjustable prop valve meanwhile i figure things out with the original set up...

I´m definitely printing this link to save it for the moment i´ll need it! :)

something like this:

abudi
Fantastic link Abudi... I spent houndreds of hours trying to make my original prop valve works again but couldn´t reach success!!.. In my case, in my car, someone before me worked on the valve... that is always bad!!... I "solve" the problem using an adjustable prop valve meanwhile i figure things out with the original set up...

I´m definitely printing this link to save it for the moment i´ll need it! :)
muy bien

hallo folks,

it's been a while since i posted here...sorry for the delay. after the first few preruns i noticed oil dripping from the balancer. i did some research and thanks to chucks help i was able to get the right parts here in europe. it costed me a fortune but now the boss is finally dry :)

chuck told me to get a sleeve for the balancer and this is a step by step description how it's done.

defore

disassemble to get to the balancer

the puller is important to get the balancer of the crankshaft

the sleeve

sleeve and seal

i pressed the sleeve on to the balancer with a piece of wood and my body weight 85 KG :)

pre lubricate the sleeve before installing it

back together again

abudi

hi folks, here's a quick update on the boss progress. i decided to get real tires that have a certain amount of grip. the wide ovals only looked good. the performance of the car was crap.

and here's a quick video of the boss idling.

abudi

Back