My 73 Mach 1 Restore Thread (updated 7/3)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Hello All, Thought I’d start a thread on the restoring of my 73 Mach 1. So here are a few of pic’s when I bought it:

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

I have replaced the entire front suspension including the Power Steering Box on the car. I also cleaned up, coated with a rust converter and undercoated both front wheel well areas. New front calipers and pads.

Cleaned up:

001.JPG

Rust Proofed and Under Coated:

006.JPG

Front Suspension completed:

011.JPG

All the new Parts:

005.JPG

Removed the rear suspension, cleaned the rearend up and painted it. Replaced the axle bearings and seals, cleaned up the Wilwood calipers and rotors and installed new pads. Also disassembled the Wilwood parking brake calipers and got them to actually work.

Before:

1001.JPG

After:

2010.JPG

2012.JPG

I was going to clean the rear section of the car and undercoat it. I was going to do the rest of the bottom of the car later on, then my son came over for father’s day and he talked me into removing the exhaust and doing the entire floor now while the rear was out and I could easily remove the exhaust. So the exhaust is off cleaned up and painted an aluminum color. The underneath is just about ready to use the conveter on and undercoat.

Exhaust cleaned and painted:

015.JPG

The car came with an Art Carr Winters shifter in it, I really didn’t care for the shifter and it needed a new $85 plastic casing for it to be mounted. So I decided to buy a new shifter, after some internet research I ended up buying a B&M Pro Ratchet Shifter, it seems like the right choice for both Street and Strip use. It definitely looks better in the car and works much better than the Winters did!

B&M Pro Ratchet Installed:

shifter.JPG

After the suspension is completed I'll be putting on the new fiberglass front bumper installed, also bought a new 3 Core aluminum radiator and need to replace the front main seal it has a small leak in it! After that it'll be heading to the body shop for repairs and painting.

Radiator:

016.JPG

“TOMMYK” and I belong to the Garagejournal forum and he told me about this forum and it’s a lot a lot like the garagejournal forum lots of good people and a wealth of good info! BUTTTTT I do have one complaint about this forum. There are so many cools pic’s and idea’s from it that its costing me extra money I didn’t want to spend!! Like I was going to polish and put new tires on the wheels that came with the car but there was a thread where everyone was posting pic’s of their wheels and I saw a set I just had to have!!! So $1200 later I have a beautiful set of wheels and new tires to make my Mach 1 look even better!!

Boss 339 wheels:

wheels.JPG

More to come!!

********UPDATE 7/3********

Well not much in the way of pics on this update

I have all the suspension, brakes and exhaust installed! Also flushed the power steering system and got it all buttoned up. Didnt get the rear sway bar installed yet it doesnt fit at all!! Gotta call Laurel Mountain Mustang Thursday to ensure its the correct one! Also still need to bleed the brakes, one of the bleeders on the Wilwood calipers BROKE so Im looking for a replacement for it. If I cant find one locally I'll order a set from JEGS. I did put the wheels on it and set it down just to check the stance of the car with everything on it! So next is to remove the front bumper, grill and radiator. Replace the front main seal install the new aluminum radiator and TRY to install my Crites front Fiberglass bumper. I bought 1 before I saw the thread on the quality of the bumper. But I can do fiberglass work and metal fabrication so hopefully I can get it mounted and looking good! So here's a few pic settin on the ground with the new Wheels and tires on it!!

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

106.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your progress.Look's great.
Its gettin there slowly but surely!

Very nice - I like this thread.
Thanks! I'll keep updating this thread as things get done!

Going well...very well. btw that car started out nice!
True it is a nice start car but the more you uncover the more you uncover! But nothing so bad that isnt easily fixed!

Looking Good
Thanks! Im actually enjoying the time I spend working on it!

where all glad for the pics,good job!
Thanks! more pics will be coming! I spent 2 hours under it tonite with all my wire wheels cleaning the floor pans. My wife said I looked like I had changed races!!!!

Great Fathers Day work from your son!
Really! I wanted to kill him! But he did give me a sears gift card soooo I let him live and he was right!

Very nice work!
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back