My budget build "performance motor"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightwieght flywheels suck for daily drivers..however i never had one on a 302 so i don't know how bad it would be.
I have a lightwieght fly wheel in my 89 GT. My opinion it was not worth the little gain in power over the in town deliverablty. Their is no doubt the engine revs faster. But you don't want to ever back up a steep drive way.:-/ I can't tell you how many times I pissed the clutch off.:D

Lightwieght flywheels suck for daily drivers..however i never had one on a 302 so i don't know how bad it would be.
I have a lightwieght fly wheel in my 89 GT. My opinion it was not worth the little gain in power over the in town deliverablty. Their is no doubt the engine revs faster. But you don't want to ever back up a steep drive way.:-/ I can't tell you how many times I pissed the clutch off.:D

Now that is something I had not considered. Currently my Driveway is a hill and in the past when I had driven a car that had the light flywheel I was living in a place with flat. Hhhhmmmm

Scat 331 Rotating Kit New in Boxes $740 (Needs to be balanced)
Is your Scat stroker kit 28 oz. or 50 oz. imballance??

Go ahead and buy your harmonic ballancer, and Flywheel/flexplate to match crank imballance. Then have the whole rotating assemblly blallanced. Craigslist should source several $50 5.0 blocks.

The find a reliable local machine shop/rebuilder to prep/machine the block. At this point I usually have the machine shop go ahead build my short block. That way all the nit picky plastigaging and few special tool jobs(piston fitting) are done. From then on its mostly routine bolt "bolt on", to a running engine. Keeping in mind, check push rod length to match variations from using a stock head.

Tubo

Go ahead and buy your harmonic ballancer, and Flywheel/flexplate to match crank imballance. Then have the whole rotating assemblly blallanced. Craigslist should source several $50 5.0 blocks.

The find a reliable local machine shop/rebuilder to prep/machine the block. At this point I usually have the machine shop go ahead build my short block. That way all the nit picky plastigaging and few special tool jobs(piston fitting) are done. From then on its mostly routine bolt "bolt on", to a running engine. Keeping in mind, check push rod length to match variations from using a stock head.

Tubo
Thanks Tubo the problem I had with the blocks around this area in Virginia is we have alot of drag racing with 2 tracks locally. The guys around here are huge fans of the SBF. Multiple guys I have seen with spare 347's and piles of parts stored for when they break something. So the blocks don't last long and a majority of the blocks for sale are already punched past .030. Which was what my Scat Rotating Kit was for. I got lucky and found a new in crate Summit Racing Block ready to build.

The Scat kit is a 28oz imbalance and I am about to get a used TCI Rattler Damper from the same guy who sold me the Summit Racing Block. I plan to buy a new flywheel take it all in to get balanced. PTV shouldn't be an issue with the valve reliefs in the pistons and Edelbrock 60cc heads(1.9 Valves) but a bit of clay will ensure everything is spot on.

Over all while a bit annoying at times these are kind of projects that I really like. I am figuring somewhere in the $3500 range for a respectable motor. At $1900 already with Block, Aluminum Heads and Rotating Assembly.

Still torn between a Custom Grind Cam and off the Shelf. The heads I have are already setup for a Ford Racing E303 Cam which is a respectable DD Cam. But I have no doubt a custom grind will easily outperform it.

The heads I have are already setup for a Ford Racing E303 Cam which is a respectable DD Cam. But I have no doubt a custom grind will easily outperform it.
Personally I'm not a fan of the archaic Ford Alphabet cams, single pattern.

Even with good flowing aftermarket heads, a dual pattern cam is far superior. Comps XE264, XE266 & XE 272 series and VooDoo 262-270 20350710 or 272-280 20350711 cams are very good OTS cams, with comprable E303 duration. Newer cams like Comp & Lunati have a much steeper(quicker) opening side of the lobe and a more gradual closing side. which helps prevent bouncing as RPMs increase. Custom cams will have simular features, and wont be single pattern either.

Pass on the old Ford alphabet cams, IMHO.

Tubo

Last edited by a moderator:

Tubo
Thanks Tubo the problem I had with the blocks around this area in Virginia is we have alot of drag racing with 2 tracks locally. The guys around here are huge fans of the SBF. Multiple guys I have seen with spare 347's and piles of parts stored for when they break something. So the blocks don't last long and a majority of the blocks for sale are already punched past .030. Which was what my Scat Rotating Kit was for. I got lucky and found a new in crate Summit Racing Block ready to build.

The Scat kit is a 28oz imbalance and I am about to get a used TCI Rattler Damper from the same guy who sold me the Summit Racing Block. I plan to buy a new flywheel take it all in to get balanced. PTV shouldn't be an issue with the valve reliefs in the pistons and Edelbrock 60cc heads(1.9 Valves) but a bit of clay will ensure everything is spot on.

Over all while a bit annoying at times these are kind of projects that I really like. I am figuring somewhere in the $3500 range for a respectable motor. At $1900 already with Block, Aluminum Heads and Rotating Assembly.

Still torn between a Custom Grind Cam and off the Shelf. The heads I have are already setup for a Ford Racing E303 Cam which is a respectable DD Cam. But I have no doubt a custom grind will easily outperform it.
Comp Cams will do a custom grind for the same price as a off the shelf cam. Just call and tell them your build specs.

The heads I have are already setup for a Ford Racing E303 Cam which is a respectable DD Cam. But I have no doubt a custom grind will easily outperform it.
Personally I'm not a fan of the archaic Ford Alphabet cams, single pattern.

Even with good flowing aftermarket heads, a dual pattern cam is far superior. Comps XE264, XE266 & XE 272 series and VooDoo 262-270 20350710 or 272-280 20350711 cams are very good OTS cams, with comprable E303 duration. Newer cams like Comp & Lunati have a much steeper(quicker) opening side of the lobe and a more gradual closing side. which helps prevent bouncing as RPMs increase. Custom cams will have simular features, and wont be single pattern either.

Pass on the old Ford alphabet cams, IMHO.

Tubo

Well seems once in a while I get lucky and am looking at a XE274HR Cam, New Ford Racing Lifters and Comp Cams Timing locally NIB that I could get pretty cheap cash. Which seems to have a nice grind for a 331 Stroker. I'll have to change the springs to match but sounds like it will be worth it.

So an update to this. After much research it seem I will be going with a Pioneer FW163 Flywheel. It is a nice compromise in weight.

28oz Imbalance

157 Tooth

21 lbs

After much searching I was unable to find a reasonable replacement for the stock 164t flywheel that was reasonably light. All I found were upwards of 25lbs and most were above 30lbs. Sadly the swap will limit me to a 10.5" long style clutch(not that big an issue) and I will have to replace my new PMGR Starter for a 157t compatible model. Luckily they don't cost much.

But it is the last piece of the puzzle to get my rotating assembly in for balancing before installation.

For reference the 3.70 gears being installed should help balance out the lighter flywheel. If not I still have the 3.90's that were installed in the car.

Just and update of more or less major parts final list for my build when I get back from the desert.

So the new motor continues to come along. I should have all the parts minus a few gaskets when I get home from the deployment. All that leaves is having the rotating assembly balanced and assemble the motor. Besides converting to a roller motor it should make the car quite a bit more powerful. Should have me back on the road with much fun next year.

Only thing I am waiting on is CVF Racing doesn't have all the billet aluminum black anodized pulleys and brackets released yet for a 302.

Scat 331 Rotating Kit

Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Heads W/ Ford Racing 1.6 Roller Rockers

Comp Cams K35-518-8 Cam Kit with XE274HR Cam

Summit Racing Roller Block New in Crate

Corporate Blue POR15 Engine Paint Kit

Holley 650 DP

ARP Head Studs and Step Washers

ROMAC 28oz balancer

ARP Stainless Fastener Kit

Tall Ford Racing Polished Valve Covers

Mcleod 164T Flywheel

Tri-Y headers

Supporting Upgrades:

Champion Aluminum Radiator

Caltrac Traction Bar Kit

17x8 Ansen Sprint Wheels

RAM Clutches 88502HDX Clutch Kit

Detroit Locker

That seems like a lot of cam, for a 3.5 or a 3.7 gear. In my 68 Cougar, I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM with .496/.520 lift, and a 3.50 rear gear. The engine is in the sweet spot, at 70 mph at 2200 rpm, in 4th gear.. The car makes really good power, and keeps pulling well with the 3.5 gear, but I think a 3.89 or a 3.91 would be way better. I do however, have the overdrive gear, and that makes a lot of difference.

My deployments paid for all of my car stuff!

If you can swing a five speed, I think you will be happier than if you gear it down to a 3.50....

New pullies are on the way. In the home stretch only weeks away from coming home. Still collecting parts but I am at the 90% solution right now. Amongst a new hobby I am picking up and the wife is buying a house in Kentucky.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131350066097?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_57.JPG

Woodsnake as far as cam selection goes that one came highly recommended as far as off the shelf cams go for my build. As far as gears go I have three sets and can adjust as need. Whats in the car now may not be best. The new house I am buying has an 1/8th mile track only few miles away and I plan on having some fun with the stang on it. So I will most definitely be trying out various gears anyway.

Hello

That is a good cam but your head flow is a bit low. you would get at least 30 more hp with the 2.02 valve heads.

I would deck and square the block so the pistons are .003” - .005” below the deck.

I would not use that clutch, it’s a cheap design and it flexes. fI would use a mcleod 10 ½” with around 1800 lb pressure plate $190.00 at summit but you need to call, summit does not have them all in their catalog . . get a dual friction disc from mcleod or centerforce.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-360400

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/clutch-discs/brand/mcleod-racing/input-shaft-diameter/1-063-in/disc-diameter-in/10-500-in?N=4294925028%2B400374%2B4294924789%2B4294924961&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=clutch%20dis&sw=Clutch%20Discs

I would run a quick fuel carb, it has down leg boosters with all removable jets.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/quick-fuel/part-type/carburetors/cfm/735?N=400990%2B4294921892%2B4294815006

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-q-650/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-650/overview/

annular booster carb, this is a very good carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-650-an/overview/

Your headers should be 1 5/8 to 1 3/4". 1 1/2 would be way too small.

i am a comp dealer and i would not user theor lifters, they are substandard and oftemn tick and blow up.look st elgins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Roller-Lifters-Ford-302-5-0L-351W-5-8L-Windsor-Mercury-New-Set-/221346979260#ht_1129wt_930

Back