My car OVERHEATS!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hi guys!!!... from several tries, i found out that my car tends to overheat when he runs for a while and then you park a few minutes with the engine on...

I have the warning light and it turns in those moments.. Of course, i turn the car off inmediately but something is wrong there...

I checked the usual things... the car has no licks but the water pump is not shifter in its axe....

As i am ordering some parts from the USA i´ll order a new water pump and new hoses... new temp sender just to know the warning light is turning on because of the heat and not because of a bad sender...

I´ll clean my radiator too in this days to have it good to go then...

Now... is this the right procedure or i am missing something??? Remember that being from Uruguay, everything i need to change, i have to buy now because the guy who import the car things do that every 2 or 3 monthes...

Thanks!!

Hi Damian - sounds like you got a great start on the usual suspects. I would do those things you described and see if that fixes the problem. If not, come back here and we'll come up with some more ideas. :)

Hi Damian - sounds like you got a great start on the usual suspects. I would do those things you described and see if that fixes the problem. If not, come back here and we'll come up with some more ideas. :)
Great my friend ;) I just hope i didn´t blew up the cylinder head gasket yet...

Anyway... this lot of parts are all for mechanical improvements... I´m gonna try to fix the breaks in order to connect the rear breaks too... I´m buying the distribution valve that i broke some time ago so, let´s hope it all comes out fine! :p I hate to spend money on non asthetic parts, je!!... but this car NEEDS to be reliable... i´m using it A LOT :)

thanks!

besides the radiator,

check the thermostat make sure it is opening.

check timing if your initial engine timing is too low that can overheat the engine.

check idle RPMS usually it should be in the 625-675 range.

the water pump would be next.

and checking that you have the correct fan and shroud.

i remember you posted asking about the fan shroud. the shroud makes a huge difference in dropping engine temperature.

besides the radiator,

check the thermostat make sure it is opening.

check timing if your initial engine timing is too low that can overheat the engine.

check idle RPMS usually it should be in the 625-675 range.

the water pump would be next.

and checking that you have the correct fan and shroud.

i remember you posted asking about the fan shroud. the shroud makes a huge difference in dropping engine temperature.
Hey Hcode!!

You remember it correct... i´m in need of a fan shroud but nobody has the 21 3/4" fan shroud that my car should have.. In fact, i´m not quite sure if this car had a fan shroud in the first time... If you know something about it, fell free to tell me!!!

Second... I dont have a thermostat installed... I´m gonna order one now because some friends told me it helps the last cylinder not to overheat or something like that...

I have a 4 blade fan that is supposed original... As i was saying, in this cooling matter my car was optioned with the extra cooling system that almost noone knows what does it mean in a I6 engine!...

Then.. then timming... yes... i have to check it out... It is not totally right because the car has no power and cold start is getting harder...

What do you mean with RPMS? sorry for not knowing it :(

And yes.. water pump and radiator cleaning i should do just for mantainance so... that would be done 100%...

Any other thoughts!?? thanks!!!!

Hi Damian, by RPMS he meant revolutions per minute at idle. I would think that you should definately have a shroud, because that would direct the airflow correctly. Good luck!
Hey Steve! thanks for posting!... and thanks for the RPMS clarification.. in spanish i know what is that! :p

About the fan shroud... What can i do if the part doesn´t exist?? I can fabricate it for sure.. in fact... i can´t afford importing one 150 dollar part right now so.. if i fabricate one just to use in the meantime... is there anything that i should be aware or doing it just logical is enough??

Thanks!!!

i don't know anything about the I6 engine cars did you contact Don at ohio mustang and ask him if he has a fan shroud for a Inline 6 car?

i don't know anything about the I6 engine cars did you contact Don at ohio mustang and ask him if he has a fan shroud for a Inline 6 car?
I did and it is not available or never been a fan shroud for this radiator (the original one)...

I6 engines came with a shroud that only did the top part, more thought for security with the blades than for cooling performance issues...

My car and his extra cooling option is even more rare than a typical 6 cylinder configuration...

If my car originaly came with a complete shroud and it is no longer reproduced i can do it in my shop with some time and patience and maybe, if it didn´t came with one but that can help the car to cool better i can still do a shroud that fits and works OK and using the car with it, in spite of not being factory original...

You know.. i realice that sometimes you need to find a valance between originality and drivability!!

Anyway... i just sent the order with the following new parts:

-water pump

-radiator hose set

-tempreature sender

-water thermostat

From there i´ll start trying to end this problem!

What do you think guys?

for the radiator hose the lower hose gets a special anti collapse spring inside of it.

if you floor the engine the water pump can cause so much suction on the lower hose that it pinches shut and can cause cooling issues.

so there is a anti-collapse spring that ford put inside.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=RH52+01

you put it inside the lower hose of the radiator and it butts up against the water pump inlet when you put the hose on, so the spring won't get sucked into the water pump.

That should get you started I would think. If it never came with a shroud then it should not affect your overheating problems. To fab one I would think you would need a diagram with measurements. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

for the radiator hose the lower hose gets a special anti collapse spring inside of it.

if you floor the engine the water pump can cause so much suction on the lower hose that it pinches shut and can cause cooling issues.

so there is a anti-collapse spring that ford put inside.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=RH52+01

you put it inside the lower hose of the radiator and it butts up against the water pump inlet when you put the hose on, so the spring won't get sucked into the water pump.
Thanks for this spring tip! ;) i´ll order one spring too... What´s your opinion about those radiator cleaner fluids??... I have one at my garagge... one of those 10 minute with the engine running cleaners... Can i use it for this matter??

Thanks!

That should get you started I would think. If it never came with a shroud then it should not affect your overheating problems. To fab one I would think you would need a diagram with measurements. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Hey Steve!! How are you??.. I know what you mean.. if the car was made not to use a shroud, then it wont need one but... we dont know for sure that it didn´t came with one in the first place...

Another thing is the diferent use the cars have nowadays... Back in the 72, maybe mustangs were designed to road tripping or to much less congestionated city driving... Now the stop and go of the cities changes the performances for sure...

Last thing.. are you telling me the shroud has some sort of specific geometry and that is why i´ll be needing a diagram??

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damián: Send OLE PONY a PM and ask if his 6 cyl 73 convert has a shroud...should have the same shroud as you should have if the 6 cyl cars have them. He's owned it basically since it was new.

Try this test on your car. Run the engine for a few minutes until regular operating temp. Have a helper rev engine up a little. You watch the lower radiator hose to see if it collapses any. If it does then your radiator is clogged. If not could be other things.

Also, see if your local auto parts store has a thermostat. A 180 degree rating thermostat is what you'll need.

Why don't you make a shroud with some sheet metal? Shouldn't be too difficult and would be much easier & less expensive than ordering one (if you can find one). Just size the opening a little bigger than the fan blade.

Also put your hand on the front side of the radiator across and up and down.. That's how I found my overheating problem.. My radiator flushed out clean but bottom 1/2 had no flow so was cool to the touch. Only top 1/3 was hot to touch.

Alan L

Damián: Send OLE PONY a PM and ask if his 6 cyl 73 convert has a shroud...should have the same shroud as you should have if the 6 cyl cars have them. He's owned it basically since it was new.

Try this test on your car. Run the engine for a few minutes until regular operating temp. Have a helper rev engine up a little. You watch the lower radiator hose to see if it collapses any. If it does then your radiator is clogged. If not could be other things.

Also, see if your local auto parts store has a thermostat. A 180 degree rating thermostat is what you'll need.

Why don't you make a shroud with some sheet metal? Shouldn't be too difficult and would be much easier & less expensive than ordering one (if you can find one). Just size the opening a little bigger than the fan blade.
Hello again Don!! :p (just answered you in the other thread)...

The test you tell me to do with the hoses i can do it myself (dont have neither fans nor helpers in winter here :p)

I dont think even at high RPM my water pump will suck the hose until the water pass shuts down but i can try it without problem...

Yesterday i ordered the parts i was telling you about guys... the water pump, the hose set (my lower one is factory and not that good and the upper one is an argentinian brand of hoses and I hate their logo :p), also ordered the temp sender and a 160° thermostat (according to my friend the mechanic, is the right one... I dont think it could make a big difference, isn´t it?)

As i told you in the other answer, i found out that my car definitely had a shroud in his early years... the radiator still has the lower mounting brackets that fixes the fan shroud so... LET´S MAKE ONE! :p

But first of all i´m gonna be using a radiator cleaner fluid I have to start by cleaning not only the radiator itself but the holw water circuit of the engine... Maybe, i can send my radiator to check by professionals too and in the midtime, I can work on the other cooling system things...

Ohh!! about the PM to Ole... According to some info i´ve got before, 1973 250 cars used a 26" x 17 3/4" radiator and 1971 and 72 used the 21 3/4" x 17 3/4" radiator... That is the one i have, not only by the part code but i also did measure it...

I also found out that this specific radiator was equiping all 71 and 72 250 Ci mustangs and also, the standard cooling option of the 71 302 Ci

Most of 71-72 250 Ci engines i´ve seen over the net had the upper shroud only, that is attached to the rad support and i think it works just for protection against the fan blades... however, i´ve never seen a 71 302 with this kind of upper shroud...

Well that´s all i know so far! :p

Thanks!

Also put your hand on the front side of the radiator across and up and down.. That's how I found my overheating problem.. My radiator flushed out clean but bottom 1/2 had no flow so was cool to the touch. Only top 1/3 was hot to touch.

Alan L
Hey Alan!! how are you!??... I´m gonna do this test as you say!

But... do the blades suck colder air from the front of the car??? if this is the right configuration, i don´t think i can tell if air is passing by... Unless i do this with the engine off and try it with the air gun..

Man, i will speak spanish so it´s easier for me and you.

Mi carro tiene un 302 pero el radiador para este modelo me salia muy caro, por lo que le pusimos uno mas grande que era de un Grand Marquis 1984

y le compre la concha para el ventilador del mismo modelo, tambien checa si tiene clutch tu ventilador.

Man, i will speak spanish so it´s easier for me and you.

Mi carro tiene un 302 pero el radiador para este modelo me salia muy caro, por lo que le pusimos uno mas grande que era de un Grand Marquis 1984

y le compre la concha para el ventilador del mismo modelo, tambien checa si tiene clutch tu ventilador.
Buenas tardes!!! sin dudas es mas sencillo hablarlo en español... Igual yo traduciré nuestra conversacion para que todos esten mas o menos al tanto de lo que estamos diciendo...

Entiendo perfectamente lo que me dices... Pero sabes que pasa, yo primero que nada, no tengo dinero como para comprar un radiador etc cuando el mio esta perfecto... y segundo, no quisiera perder la originalidad de mi auto solo por no conseguir el encausador facilmente...

Ademas, construirlo me parece un reto divertido :p

Gracias y seguimos en contacto si???

... Well guys... for everyone who doesn´t speak spanish.. GO AND LEARN! jejeje... naaaa. just kidding!!!

What we were talking about is that he advices me to buy another vehicle radiator with its shroud and problem solved... And yes.. it is true but for most of you guys who are following my restoration... I´m on another road, trying to get my car as original as i can...

So, building the shroud can be a lot of fun and can improve the car run... Untill the correct shroud for my radiator appears, this is the most cheap and yet fun solution to improve my car without any modification what so ever...

What do you think then!?

According to my references, it is more than likely that your fan is in fact original. It is also my understanding that the 4-blade fan did not come with a shroud.

That having been said, it is not difficult to fab up a shroud for the upper part of your application. They actually sell them over here and I have one on my 472 Grande.

The only "fly in the ointment" is that thing about "extra cooling" for your car - - that has me stumped as my references (to include the Hollander Manual) do not show any extra cooling options for the I6.

Of course, anything is possible and if your car was built with the idea of taking it to South America, that could have been a special order. If your car does in fact have "extra cooling", I would think that it would mean you are using the same radiator as used in V8 car to include 302, 351 and 429s. It should then take the same shroud, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

BT

ok i found it in the specs catalog for 1971

Mustang options and accessories: Heavy-duty equipment:

Extra-cooling package-includes extra fin-density radiator (standard with air conditioning and 429 CJ or CJ-R; N/A with boss 351)

Listed as RPO- regular production option.

also little blurb in catalog about this option being Standard for all cars being Exported.

72 lists Extra-cooling package as standard with all A/C cars, no information on export cars.

Back