My engine build thread (NEW PICTURES)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had the time right now. I start a trial Wednesday and my youngest son's Bar Mitzvah is Saturday.

But i got up before work and removed the carb studs that were too long and mounted the carb for the final time.

When I got home tonight I adjusted the AC belt, replaced the fuel lines with braided, and then Rob aka Rebrabb came by and helped me get her started and timing set. She roared to life on the first try. Timing is set and the advance is working nicely and I hooked up the electric choke and installed the Bumper, hinges and hood. Took a while to get the alignment right, but it is closer than it has ever been now.

I still didn't drive it as it was dark and I wanted someone available if I had any problems. Tomorrow I'll renew the tags so I am legal and hopefully take a test drive this weekend

Wrapping it up 006.JPG

Wrapping it up 003.JPG

Thanks for all the support!

I wish I had the time right now. I start a trial Wednesday and my youngest son's Bar Mitzvah is Saturday.

But i got up before work and removed the carb studs that were too long and mounted the carb for the final time.

When I got home tonight I adjusted the AC belt, replaced the fuel lines with braided, and then Rob aka Rebrabb came by and helped me get her started and timing set. She roared to life on the first try. Timing is set and the advance is working nicely and I hooked up the electric choke and installed the Bumper, hinges and hood. Took a while to get the alignment right, but it is closer than it has ever been now.

I still didn't drive it as it was dark and I wanted someone available if I had any problems. Tomorrow I'll renew the tags so I am legal and hopefully take a test drive this weekend

Thanks for all the support!
Good to see you and Rob Revrabb05 are working together. You guys are going to end up with 'book end', aka matching yellow 73 Mach 1's!

Cool.

Ray

MPG export braces . . . but I think they are poorly made and will me making a couple of minor modifications. The "Tabs" that the rods attach to are open on top and bend easily. Rather than a pin type assembly I think I am going to use bolts to prevent the bending and deflection. I also intend to tie them to the radiator support with two more pieces as my distributor interferes with a Monte Carlo bar.

I just took my first test drive. All went well, but here are a few observations

OMG is this thing brutal! 1st gear is nearly useless-even 2nd gear requires careful throttle to avoid breaking them loose at anything under 40. Traction bars and bigger, better softer tires are going to be a must.

My rear main seal is leaking. (I've known) I'm hoping it will stop before I finish the brake in, but if not I'm going to a friends shop to use his lift- I'm tired of laying on the ground.

Plumbing the vacuum brake reservoir properly makes a difference (oops)

I've now backed out about 5 degrees of timing and am starting with a base of 7 degrees for my next drive. I'm waiting til tomorrow.

Yeah 1st doesn't last much longer than let the clutch out and push it back in for second. I took it on the interstate this morning and had my buddy weld up the exhaust where I cut it previously. I also added all the timing back in as it did not like it at 7 degrees. Brakes felt much better with the rerouted lines. 80 to 120 in 4th gear was a blast, but I backed off when I hit 6000 rpm. It does look like I am probably going to have to drop the pan and replace the rear main seal :(

Now onto cleaning up a little wiring and continuing with some fine tuning when I get a little more time. I have some home repairs I need to get on this afternoon

I'm experimenting with the following setup Breather cap has been fitted with a pressure relief valve that opens under less than 3 pounds air pressure. The other valve cover has the PCV valve in a tall baffled cap and runs to my carb's 3/8th vacuum barb.

I drove over a hundred miles with this set up this weekend while breaking in my rings and making some minor adjustments. It worked beautifully. I fitted another cap up to hook to my vacuum gauge and it showed no signs of crankcase pressurization at idle or on no load revving of the engine.

I change the oil for the first time and I'm very pleased. I am running a second batch of break in oil now as I continue to fine tune things.

The plan now is to put another 100-150 miles on her and run the valves, and change the valves covers to something that won't require the spacers. The extra tall pro comp fabricated covers look like they will work.

Tomorrow, I expect to see my Calverts arrive.

I fabricated a bracket to mount a Ford antidiesel solenoid to my Holley carb by grafting two brackets together with my grinder and mig welder. I deen some hardware to mount it up and I'll get a picture posted.

Update. First valve adjustment revealed no problems and nothing more than break in should cause in the way of increased clearances. Most valves only needed a 1/4 turn or less.

2nd round of break in oil is about ready to be changed. Carb adjustment was a bit troublesome, but I think it is there; the anti diesel solenoid set up seems to be working well as the car shuts off cleanly and I'm having no problems running pump gas.

tires are going to continue to be my achilles heel- The Calvert traction bars keep it straight, but I'm still not hooking up at all. I bought some slicks and wheels, but the wheels had clearance issues in back so I am trying a different pair before I grind on the calipers.

As expected, I've now had my first driveline failure. Hopefully, it is just a rear axle bearing on the driver's side. My buddy's shop that did the rear end work would probably fix it for free, but I'm tired of redoing other people's work, so I'm going to do it myself this time.

No new pictures today, but soon . . .

Update.

As expected, I've now had my first driveline failure. Hopefully, it is just a rear axle bearing on the driver's side. My buddy's shop that did the rear end work would probably fix it for free, but I'm tired of redoing other people's work, so I'm going to do it myself this time.

Hey isn't that like going to court and representing yourself without a lawyer :angel: :p :D :)

Update.

Hey isn't that like going to court and representing yourself without a lawyer :angel: :p :D :)

Maybe so. I'm comfortable with the claim that I am a more competent as a mechanic than most non attorneys are as attorneys. Maybe not lol :D

I called Larry (the shop owner) to ask who he uses to press on bearings-he told me "I have a big pipe we slide over and drive them on." I didn't say much as I need to recharge my AC and he has the equipment that I don't.

But I guess I know why there was a bearing failure at less than 3000 miles! :mad:

and yes it is good to be able to drive it again.

Update.

Maybe so. I'm comfortable with the claim that I am a more competent as a mechanic than most non attorneys are as attorneys. Maybe not lol :D

I called Larry (the shop owner) to ask who he uses to press on bearings-he told me "I have a big pipe we slide over and drive them on." I didn't say much as I need to recharge my AC and he has the equipment that I don't.

But I guess I know why there was a bearing failure at less than 3000 miles! :mad:

and yes it is good to be able to drive it again.
I totally agree when you said " it's hard to trust other people's work anymore". Too many examples on this forum of damage done by other "mechanics" on their cars.

Jeff, that big pipe used to drive on the bearings reminds me of the "mechanic" that drove on the power steering pulley on my son's f150. I had to buy a new pump shortly after that and found I could borrow the tools for free from Autozone. Does it not irratate you knowing that it really is not that hard to do the job correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether using a big pipe or a press, either can ruin the bearing if the pressure is put on the outer race. When installing a bearing that's press fit ALWAYS push on the race that's going on the shaft or into the bore.

24v2rd4.jpg

2usbepx.jpg

Just a few shots that are overdue

Back