My name is Rob, here is my 72 Grande 351c 2v.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Grande
Currently stripping down to metal to epoxy prime. Car has been painting twice and it's starting to crack. So wanting to do things right, got to remove all the paint and start over. Attached some before and current pictures. This car has zero rust, well maybe a little surface rust in a couple spots but overall none. Except of course the passenger apron definitely got battery acid on it and I will cut it out and replace it.PXL_20240315_232549008.jpgPXL_20240317_010112134.jpgPXL_20240315_232549008.jpgPXL_20230809_161037624.jpgPXL_20230809_160957679.jpg

Thank you, trying to bust out the work on this so it is ready by summer. I have purchased replacement weatherstripping for the doors and windows, my only gripe about it is the door felt. The original is around 3 inches deep into the door. The replacement with chrome for a grande is like 1 inch. I would gladly pay even more for exact repro parts but no body makes them. Enough complaining better get back to it. This paint won't remove itself.

That's a lot of work! Good on you. Nice car you're starting with for sure.

Are you planning to shoot the paint yourself?
Yes I will be painting it myself. First of many projects on this car. List goes strip paint, paint, EFI conversion, then replace FMX with TKX, replace stock 2.79 rear with 3.55 tru-trac. I should make a project page honestly.

Thank you, trying to bust out the work on this so it is ready by summer. I have purchased replacement weatherstripping for the doors and windows, my only gripe about it is the door felt. The original is around 3 inches deep into the door. The replacement with chrome for a grande is like 1 inch. I would gladly pay even more for exact repro parts but no body makes them. Enough complaining better get back to it. This paint won't remove itself.
Howdy and welcome from Texas! As the others have said, looks like a great project.

Read through this thread for a way to use your old and new felts together: https://7173mustangs.com/threads/new-glass-install.24503/

Thank you for the link. I knew there had to be a way to make a thicker felt. Still think someone should build the correct part. The ACP grande felt(has chrome strip) was 150. Would gladly pay more to just get an actual repo part, but I will follow the link and make my own. Again thank you for the info. My desire to make everything perfect on a car older than me, will no doubt make this Restoration take far longer than it should. Here is today's progress. Found some body damage on rear passenger wheel well. Removed the Bondo, will redo after epoxy primer.PXL_20240317_211750844.jpgPXL_20240317_211809334.jpgPXL_20240317_211757934.jpgPXL_20240317_211805902.jpg

I bought the Bauer harbor freight version of the Eastwood surface conditioning tool which is about a third of the price of the EastWood including the extra warranty. I highly recommend it. Can't imagine how much sandpaper I would go through using an sander. Plus this thing goes through the paint pretty quick without heating up the panels too much. https://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-surface-conditioning-tool-58079.html

Yes I will be painting it myself. First of many projects on this car. List goes strip paint, paint, EFI conversion, then replace FMX with TKX, replace stock 2.79 rear with 3.55 tru-trac. I should make a project page honestly.

Yes, think seriously about starting your own project/build thread! I made the mistake of documenting my progress piecemeal in several threads with my car. I recently went through the effort to reconstruct a build thread two years after finishing. It is a lot of work.

Don't make the same mistake I made!

Back