Need help installing my steering column

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
Trying to re-install my steering column and I can't seem to get the shaft into the steering coupler that I installed on the steering box.  Any tips on how to accomplish this as I might have tried for at least 45 minutes.  Is it a 2 person job with someone lining it up which the other person is in the car pushing the column into place?

What steering coupler did you install? I just used a Lares 201 for a 71 non tilt steering column and factory steering box and things went smoothly. Have the wheels straight, and steering box centered, the screw to remove it is on the right side pointing upwards.

It is a stock part.  I first tried installing it on the steering gear while the coupler was installed on the end of the steering column but I couldn't get the angle right. I decided to install the coupler on the steering gear first and then try installing the  steering column on the coupler attached to the steering gear.  

Im sure I'm missing something easy

I had my coupler on the steering box and then attached the steering column to that. I did notice that both bolts were not thru holes. One went thru column and coupler easily but then the other I needed to actually screw the bolt thru both the pieces. I did spend some time trying to line things up before I realized that issue.  I thought things were not lined up because the bolt didnt push thru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back