Need help. Possible collapsed lifter?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
351c. Opened up valve covers to adjust lifters. This looks odd. All the other ones are pumped and not moving. Its adjusted to 0 lash plus half turn

Cam was changed year ago... I haven't driven the vehicle since rebuild. It does not appear to smoke at all .  vacuum is steady at 19 at 750 rpm

Please see video 

Thanks

Alex

While adjusting few other lifters I did cycle the engine few times...

I am just wondering if that was enough to bleed this lifter out of oil.

I'll test it by starting the car and waiting for pressure to build up in all lifters then shut it down and test to see if I get the same results .

Alex

Yep, she's collapsed. Are they roller lifters or flat tappet? Not that it matters just curious, because I had a ton of trouble with mine doing the same thing. Also if they are from COMP, pull them out immediately and toss them. I went through several sets of comp and never got a good set. I ended up buying a set of Morel lifters and haven't had any trouble since. My engine builder is/was a Comp dealer and he absolutely will not install them in ANY of his motors any more because of all the failures he's had with them.

Yep, she's collapsed. Are they roller lifters or flat tappet? Not that it matters just curious, because I had a ton of trouble with mine doing the same thing. Also if they are from COMP, pull them out immediately and toss them. I went through several sets of comp and never got a good set.  I ended up buying a set of Morel lifters and haven't had any trouble since. My engine builder is/was a Comp dealer and he absolutely will not install them in ANY of his motors any more because of all the failures he's had with them.
Thanks for your reply  . No these are cheep 3 dollars  summit racing hydraulic lifters that I got with their camshaft. Funny thing is that I have not heard any noise from the valves but decided to replace my valve covers because one of them did not have breather on it...

I guess I was lucky since it does not feel like it wiped the cam lobe but I  guess I will know for sure when I take the lifter out.

I will replace all of them and go through brake in procedure with bottle of lucas zzdp additive.

Do you have any recommendation on the new lifters?

Anything else that I should worry about when adding new lifters on top of the used cam?

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Not two weeks ago, installed a new set from Summit and one was "defect", just not properly assembled at the plant.

Its fairly easy to open and inspect, in my case the spring that is supposed to be into a pin, wasn't engaged properly.

It would have runtime created the same case you have.

In the states you can get a new set for much cheaper and faster than we do here, so its no brainer if damaged, but I'd open it to find out why first.

Yep, she's collapsed. Are they roller lifters or flat tappet? Not that it matters just curious, because I had a ton of trouble with mine doing the same thing. Also if they are from COMP, pull them out immediately and toss them. I went through several sets of comp and never got a good set.  I ended up buying a set of Morel lifters and haven't had any trouble since. My engine builder is/was a Comp dealer and he absolutely will not install them in ANY of his motors any more because of all the failures he's had with them.
Thanks for your reply  . No these are cheep 3 dollars  summit racing hydraulic lifters that I got with their camshaft. Funny thing is that I have not heard any noise from the valves but decided to replace my valve covers because one of them did not have breather on it...

I guess I was lucky since it does not feel like it wiped the cam lobe but I  guess I will know for sure when I take the lifter out.

I will replace all of them and go through brake in procedure with bottle of lucas zzdp additive.

Anything else that I should worry about when adding new lifters on top of the used cam?

Alex
Last I heard summit lifters were originally from Crane as were their cams. Then when Crane went out of business for a short time, Summit had Comp making their lifters. Which from what I understand are cheap ones from oversees that have failed over and over. Now I cant guarantee this info is correct, but I read it on the internet so it has to be true, right?? lollerz   All joking aside, I would pull those out and purchase some good lifters, I really like Morel.  In reality there are only a handful of manufacturers out there and everybody sells them with a little different specs.  Since your running flat tappet cam you will need to do the break in procedure again. Hopefully you don't have a bad lobe already, but if it was running fine and not backfiring or acting up you should be ok.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Alex
Last I heard summit lifters were originally from Crane as were their cams. Then when Crane went out of business for a short time, Summit had Comp making their lifters. Which from what I understand are cheap ones from oversees that have failed over and over. Now I cant guarantee this info is correct, but I read it on the internet so it has to be true, right?? lollerz   All joking aside, I would pull those out and purchase some good lifters, I really like Morel.  In reality there are only a handful of manufacturers out there and everybody sells them with a little different specs.  Since your running flat tappet cam you will need to do the break in procedure again. Hopefully you don't have a bad lobe already, but if it was running fine and not backfiring or acting up you should be ok.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Also I would let the new lifters soak in oil overnight before install.

Back