Need opinion on potential purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
I found a 71 mustang convertible that I'm thinking of buying and just want to run it by everyone for their opinion.

Car has spent its life in either California, Utah or Las Vegas its entire life and is rust free and accident free.  Options include M code 351 4v engine, C6 trans, power disk brakes, full console and AC.  Don tell have marti report but it looks all original except for the paint which was changed from brown to white.  Car I see believed to have just over 60,000 miles and after inspecting it I don't see i dont dispute this morning.  Car runs and drives great and the only issue worth menis that the ac doesn't  hold a charge.  Everything's

Cars like that sell in AZ/CA all the time off Craigslist and often cost under $5k. In CA , it is rare to have more than a two car garage (space or laws that prevent parking everything you own on the lawn)

MANY buy cars out west, and down south and simple bring to the RUST belt and resell. My neighbor has done it with about 5 trucks (from down south) and I'm sure you will remember the VERY ORIGINAL 67 Camaro at Baker's 3 years ago for sale for $16000.00. (He picked that prices because it was $10K profit)

Personally, I hunt my own cars and only buy RARE ones. A 71 M code Conv is "worthy" and a neat car. My QUESTION is "if you decicate the space, time and money-WILL you be on the wrong side IF a Boss or DREAM car comes around?"

Mark

P.S. If priced right you can always TRADE for what you want!

So looks like they made 414 M code verts with C-6 in 71.

One thing that usually happens with desert cars is the interior is shot. Depending on if it sat outside in the sun. I also found rust in the rain gutter system on my California vert which was also stored for 27 years inside. If people wash these cars all the time that is as bad as being in the salt belt, lol. Raw steel loves water and these cars had lots of bare metal inside the doors, quarters and the filler panel between trunk and top. I actually cut a filler panel out of a Grand Rapids Mich. car that had absolutely no rust in it to go in one of my builds.

On the yellow California car it had 48,000 miles was H code with C-4 auto, changed from FMX, 4-V added, MSD, bored, balanced, cam, long console, convenience group, AM/FM, decor group, sport wheel covers, dual mirrors, AC, PS, PDB. Extra set of aftermarket aluminum wheels and new tires. New top in the box with the car. It was $7,100 and $1,000 delivery cost. I got off Ebay so not hidden. Original paint on most of the car and original interior.

You can see where the rust was in the rear rain gutter. Of course it had rust around the tail light gaskets. All do if they were washed. I cleaned the best I could put new seam sealer in and painted with POR to seal it up. I never wash car with hose or car wash to keep the water out of all the cracks and spaces not painted.

The one Q code 4 speed 73 sold on Ebay couple years ago that had never been washed and always kept in plastic bag. Never in rain either. Had about every option including hood black out and side stripes and was the dark metallic green. It only brought $31,000. Was perfect original car best I have seen except for a couple that were stored with only a few miles on them.

So check it all out see if engine block, transmission and VIN# all match if not then there goes 50% in my opinion. Some people watch the auctions and think they have a show car but just a rattle can remake. A color change will be expensive on the paint. Probably better off to find one correct and just buy it.

Cars like that sell in AZ/CA all the time off Craigslist and often cost under $5k.   In CA , it is rare to have more than a two car garage (space or laws that prevent parking everything you own on the lawn)

MANY buy cars out west, and down south and simple bring to the RUST belt and resell.    My neighbor has done it with about 5 trucks (from down south) and I'm sure you will remember the VERY ORIGINAL 67 Camaro at Baker's 3 years ago for sale for $16000.00.   (He picked that prices because it was $10K profit)  

Personally, I hunt my own cars and only buy RARE ones.   A 71 M code Conv is "worthy" and a neat car.  My QUESTION is "if you decicate the space, time and money-WILL you be on the wrong side IF a Boss or DREAM car comes around?"

Mark

P.S.  If priced right you can always TRADE for what you want!
$5K??? I'll take three please...

This car has no rust at all. Checked all the usual places and it’s solid as a rock.

I’ve been watching SW USA craigslist for the last 9 months and haven’t seen 1 car that would even come close to this one for $5k. If they’re there I’m not finding them.

You know what I have Mark so you know I like cars that are a little different and lower production numbers. No issue with space or money so if that Boss pops up this won’t be the inhibitor. Sounds like Worse case I sell it up in MI for more than I bought it for based on what cars this clean sell for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car hasn’t been washed in 18 years during the current owner possession and was kept in a climate controlled garage along with some other very nice cars. He was saving it for his daughter but she wanted a Jeep instead.

Car hasn’t been washed in 18 years during the current owner possession and was kept in a climate controlled garage along with some other very nice  cars.  He was saving it for his daughter but she wanted a Jeep instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't think I was say "don't buy"!      Seems like a great car.  (I'm out of room in my garage -so my thoughts were based on space in my life) LOL

Mark

P.S.  You can't complain when you hear OTHERS get cars for a fraction of what you see on Ebay IF YOU haven't been knocking on doors, getting of the highway when you travel AND go outside of the major cities (Phoenix/LasVegas/Albuquerque).

IMO if you can get it for a decent price that would be in my garage. Its almost exactly the same car that my 71 vert was when I got it but mine was a rust bucket, but I only paid $1000 . Mine was also an M-code but is now a 429. Mark has seen my car. You might also check the round passage between the cowl and the heater box. Potentially a problem and difficult to access. Picture attached. Ed Raver

Car hasn’t been washed in 18 years during the current owner possession and was kept in a climate controlled garage along with some other very nice  cars.  He was saving it for his daughter but she wanted a Jeep instead.

Sounds like he understands the fact that it is bare steel inside these bodies in many places. Rain and salt are not the only issues causing rust. I for one will always pay more for a rust free than one with rust. The strength of the unibody is gone when they are rusty for sure.

Did he offer any pictures of the car before the repaint?

My friend that does restorations sold his Camaro Indy pace car he had that had never been washed. Did not really pay off for him did not make any profit.

You should post ads also when looking and not just wait for someone to post. There are lots of guys like me dying off and the family wants nothing to do with the cars, mine does not, and they just sell them off. Was out driving in the mountains and I think I met the guy that bought the 427 AC Cobra here for $800. Was up near Highlands NC where he lives. People that had it just wanted it out of the garage and knew nothing about Cobras. I have put ads all over the U.S. for different items and have had great success. The removable hard tops for the Mustang verts I have were found that way. I found 7 in one year and bought 3 of them. All three had them just sitting around and did not want them. Mustang Monthly had stated that only 3 had been found in their article.

Just do the leg work and when I find something then I get on craigslist and search the route I will travel to get the item and buy other stuff along the way.

Most want nothing to do with a 71 - 73 and most would never think they are worth much at all.

A couple of 73 came up maybe 3 years ago with a few hundred miles on them. I am sure there are more. Daniel Carpenter has a row of Mustangs in his place with single digit miles on them that he found by posting ads looking for them. Couple pics of some of his cars.

delete wikipedia account

Back