neutral safety switch adjust c-4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have loosened the 2 bolts for the switch, but only get about 1/8th inch or less movement and can get nothing close to a #43 drill into the adjust hole. How much rotational play should there be? I was doing this because I just replaced the shift lever bushings and the reverse lights are (always were) on all the time.

Danno, If you know to use the #43 drill bit I assume you have the Ford shop manuals. The switch doesn't move much at all so all the linkage adjustments need to be correct before trying to adjust the NSS. Adjust the shifter rod first (with the lock rod loose), then set the lock rod, then set the NSS. There is surprisingly little room for error. Chuck

Danno, If you know to use the #43 drill bit I assume you have the Ford shop manuals. The switch doesn't move much at all so all the linkage adjustments need to be correct before trying to adjust the NSS. Adjust the shifter rod first (with the lock rod loose), then set the lock rod, then set the NSS. There is surprisingly little room for error. Chuck

I adjusted the shift linkage, by removing the nut under the car, put the shift lever in "D", went back under the car, clicked the rod manually to the "D" position, reconnected everything. The shifter feels much better. The problem I am still having is that I cannot get anything into the hole on the NSS. I even tried a piece of .032 safety wire. I have the shift lever in park, and the switch bolts loose. I rotate the switch to both extremes while trying to penetrate the hole, no luck. I am thinking of removing the swich and seeing if there is debris in the hole.

Back