neutral safety switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportsroof.
Does anyone know where the neutral safety switch is located on a 71 with a c4 tranny? My reverse lights dont come on and also I sometimes have to take it out of park and put it back in park to get it to start. Any help would be appreciated.

it should be located underneath the shifter in the floor. you will need to disconnect the floor shifter from the transmission shifter rod, then remove the top gear select cover inside the car and pull the 4 screws then lift the assembly out of the car.

there is a little hole in the neutral safety switch that suppose to help with alignment you stick and allen key in it and by loosening 2 screws you can move the switch around.

if your shifter is just a little out of alignment you could have 2 people help you.

lift the car up

put the trans in reverse.

put the ignition to on without the engine running, just so the reverse lights come on.

have 1 look at the reverse light

get under the car and loosen the shift selector rod.

have one person inside the car holding the shifter in reverse so the rear lights come on and stay on.

then re-tighten the shift selector rod bolt to the bottom the shifter.

as long as the alignment isn't so far off that the gear selector is like between gears on the indicator and solid between the ratchets, you will be fine. you can test the transmission through all the gears and double check that everything shifts as before and the lights stay on in reverse.

over time the shifter rod can move slightly and this can throw off the neutral safety switch.

this is easier then having to get the entire shifter out of the floor to make a slight adjustment.

Does anyone know where the neutral safety switch is located on a 71 with a c4 tranny? My reverse lights dont come on and also I sometimes have to take it out of park and put it back in park to get it to start. Any help would be appreciated.
C4 and C6 switches are mounted on the side of the trans by shifter linkage [ LH side ]

FMX has one inside of the shifter

Don

Good info...I need to do this too, the Mach1 will start in drive and it has no reverse lights! ::shrug::

it should be located underneath the shifter in the floor. you will need to disconnect the floor shifter from the transmission shifter rod, then remove the top gear select cover inside the car and pull the 4 screws then lift the assembly out of the car.

there is a little hole in the neutral safety switch that suppose to help with alignment you stick and allen key in it and by loosening 2 screws you can move the switch around.

if your shifter is just a little out of alignment you could have 2 people help you.

lift the car up

put the trans in reverse.

put the ignition to on without the engine running, just so the reverse lights come on.

have 1 look at the reverse light

get under the car and loosen the shift selector rod.

have one person inside the car holding the shifter in reverse so the rear lights come on and stay on.

then re-tighten the shift selector rod bolt to the bottom the shifter.

as long as the alignment isn't so far off that the gear selector is like between gears on the indicator and solid between the ratchets, you will be fine. you can test the transmission through all the gears and double check that everything shifts as before and the lights stay on in reverse.

over time the shifter rod can move slightly and this can throw off the neutral safety switch.

this is easier then having to get the entire shifter out of the floor to make a slight adjustment.
Thanks for the help. I'll try that.

Latest posts

Back