New Carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its kinda funny reading this, because less than a month ago I scrapped this same carb and went back with the original (rebuilt of course). with that said, this two brackets from edelbrock are complete crap. I have a Lokar setup that includes the throttle cable and mounting bracket along with a kick down cable conversion for transmission. If you are interested in an easy install, pm me and we can work something out to get you the correct parts to make your life easier.

Its kinda funny reading this, because less than a month ago I scrapped this same carb and went back with the original (rebuilt of course). with that said, this two brackets from edelbrock are complete crap. I have a Lokar setup that includes the throttle cable and mounting bracket along with a kick down cable conversion for transmission. If you are interested in an easy install, pm me and we can work something out to get you the correct parts to make your life easier.
BTW, what motor and trans are you running again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I got the RTV with the install kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes but did they give you good rtv or crappy rtv . i told you what i use . if you dont use that it has a higher chance of leaking.. i also sand the surfaces with 180 to give the silicone something to bite into especially in the four corners where the head meets the block . i sand the head for 1/4 inch at that junction but you have to be extremely careful not to get grit in the engine . taping newspaper to the valley wall after the entire area is clean and free of oil helps then i vacuum the area then wipe it down then vacuum again then remove the paper and wipe and vacuum again.

yes but did they give you good rtv or crappy rtv . i told you what i use . if you dont use that it has a higher chance of leaking.. i also sand the surfaces with 180 to give the silicone something to bite into especially in the four corners where the head meets the block . i sand the head for 1/4 inch at that junction but you have to be extremely careful not to get grit in the engine . taping newspaper to the valley wall after the entire area is clean and free of oil helps then i vacuum the area then wipe it down then vacuum again then remove the paper and wipe and vacuum again.
They send Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. Should I get something else or is this the right stuff?

They send Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. Should I get something else or is this the right stuff?
thats the worst crap on the planet, period, and it is what you give to people you hate more than anyone else on the planet to use on their engine so it will leak like a geyser.

i use permatex black gasket maker p/n 82180.

permatex-ultra-black-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, Thanks!

thats the worst crap on the planet, period, and it is what you give to people you hate more than anyone else on the planet so their engine will leak like a geyser.

i use permatex black gasket maker p/n 82180.

http://d2dslulmm3ln9j.cloudfront.net/permatex-ultra-black-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker.jpg

Call is OCD, but I have been laying out all of the parts making sure I have a mental picture of where everything goes before getting starting on Saturday.

Now I have one more questions...

Where the heck does the AC Fast Idle Solenoid connect to the Edelbrock 1406? Am I overlooking this in the instructions? Or do I need yet another bracket?

I haven't messed with the edelbrock, but the solenoid on a holley does require a separate bracket. http://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-8059-Solenoid-and-Bracket/dp/B00062YCWY shows their solenoid and bracket. It is pricey, but if you look at your existing bracket, you might be able to either adapt it or make a replacement from a scrap of 1/8 steel, using a vice and a crescent wrench to bend it and a drill of course.

YOu can run without it, but you will have to set your idle a little higher to compensate sometimes.

I haven't messed with the edelbrock, but the solenoid on a holley does require a separate bracket. http://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-8059-Solenoid-and-Bracket/dp/B00062YCWY shows their solenoid and bracket. It is pricey, but if you look at your existing bracket, you might be able to either adapt it or make a replacement from a scrap of 1/8 steel, using a vice and a crescent wrench to bend it and a drill of course.

YOu can run without it, but you will have to set your idle a little higher to compensate sometimes.
Thanks for that.

The good news is I have a few months before I really need to worry about the air conditioner anyway.

Back