New Holley Street AVenger 670 idling problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the correct firing order for a 351c. Can you take a shot of the page from the 71 shop manual showing what firing order you used?

Out of curiosity, I looked at my 71 manual. Under the listing it shows for 302,351,390,400,429, and 460 V8's, the firing order for 351 -400 is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, then it shows Others; 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. I wonder if this is what he saw and went with. It's confusing the way it's published.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the firing orders can be confusing, Ford has used at least 3 on V8s, here's the 2 in common use , the other one is for flatheads and "Y" blocks. All modular V8s use the same as the 351C.

73pony pid='368767' dateline='1588697508']1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the correct firing order for a 351c. Can you take a shot of the page from the 71 shop manual showing what firing order you used?
I see my error. It shows firing order for 351and 400. Below that (others). I screwed up and used the firing orders for “other”. Idiot!

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 is the correct firing order for a 351c. Can you take a shot of the page from the 71 shop manual showing what firing order you used?
I see my error. It shows firing order for 351and 400. Below that (others). I screwed up and used the firing orders for “other”. Idiot!
Don't sweat it. It happens.

Yes indeed, don't sweat it, It IS confusing so don't feel bad. You got it sorted and that's all that counts. We live and learn.

As my Dad used to say " Anybody can make a mistake......... said the Hedgehog climbing off the clothes brush"

If you haven't gotten the firing order wrong it's just because you haven't worked on cars very much. My most memorable one was when I put a 292 "Y" block into our '55 Willys 4x4 wagon, replacing the I-6. I finished it about 10:30 one evening and couldn't wait to fire it up, even though I didn't have mufflers on it, yet. Cranked it over, it fired right up (had already primed the carburetor), and sounded like a major battle going on. I'm sure that it woke everyone up within a 3 block area. Shut it down and turned off the lights and called it a day. Just took me a couple of minutes to change the plug wires the next morning. Surprised the police never drove by or any of our neighbors mentioned hearing anything.

Just want to thank everyone for their assistance. The car runs well and sounds good. I have about fifteen miles on it. It's back on the jack stands to fix some coolant leaks, header gasket, and rebuild the front suspension. Thanks again.

Back