new ignition

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pic. Yeah that is considerably smaller than mine as the DUI units are based on the Chevy HEI with the coil built in, hence massive in size.

Thanks for the pic. Yeah that is considerably smaller than mine as the DUI units are based on the Chevy HEI with the coil built in, hence massive in size.
They actually offer both types, HEI with the coil built in, or small cap utilizing an external coil.  I obviously went with the small cap/external coil option knowing I wanted to keep my Ram Air setup.

They actually offer both types, HEI with the coil built in, or small cap utilizing an external coil.  I obviously went with the small cap/external coil option knowing I wanted to keep my Ram Air setup.
Thanks for posting the results, it is very helpful. Update us after you get some more miles on the unit. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks for posting the results, it is very helpful. Update us after you get some more miles on the unit. Thanks, Chuck
Chuck, I figured you would have one on the way by now! Lol

I’m very interested in this too.

I spoke with them about whether or not the gear could be replaced with a bronze gear for my solid roller cam and they cannot, nor will an aftermarket gear fit. I'll have to wait until I need another distributor for a milder engine build I am in the middle of at this time. They were responsive and knowledgeable and hope to be adding a bronze gear option in the future, but no idea as to when.

I must also say, their customer service is great. I asked Ted (the owner) about acquiring and additional male cap so I could swap my plugs over. I originally ordered my distributor with a female cap. He sent me one free of charge.

Jeff, would anything prevent you from simply removing the stock gear and pressing on your bronze gear?

Yes, they advise their shaft is incompatible, but that they are working to have a gear made, just no particular time frame. It could be possible that with a bit of machining it could be done, but that is too much money to spend on a maybe.

I wonder what is incompatible? Surely the OD of the shaft is the same as Ford OEM. But you never know. I bought a Daytona distributor and it would not engage the cam. The OD of the gear was too big. I went to put a Ford gear on it and the original gear just fell off went I took the roll pin out. It went back for a full refund with no problems. They were good to deal with and I really like their ignition box. Chuck

Back