New Member Forum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I have a nice 73 convertible that is clean and runs well. But, Its a 50 year old car. Looking for a solid source to get replies on sourcing the best parts that are available on various web sites. I am hoping this is a good forum for this.

I have been waiting for this particular car to become available. It's a Q code car, A/C windows, steering suspension appearance, package disc, brakes, red with white interior and white top. I'm anxious to tweak on details and therefore I am hoping you guys/gals can help me with this.

Thanks ...Neil

Attachments

• IMG_6314.jpeg
    IMG_6314.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
Welcome from Texas! She looks great!

I’ll echo the earlier post. What parts are you seeking? Body? Engine? Brakes? Steering Cooling? etc.

Well, gentlemen, I appreciate everyone responding onto this thread. I wasn't sure if I was looking at my thread or others but I am learning my way through this forum.

At this point, the car runs great. I do have a couple of issues I would like to address. One being, I would like to have a couple of new door panels as one of them is starting to crack due to the brittleness and the age. I've looked at several on different sites, but I wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with these aftermarket door panels, and could offer suggestions. My initial concern is the coloring of the white panel versus what would be in my car after 50 years, as well as the fit.

Also, I'm considering the new Bluetooth radios that have the old-school appearance. The Bluetooth digital gauge when you move the selector bar from what would've been the a.m. to FM. Wondering if anybody has used those and their opinion of that upgrade.

Lastly, I know the Q code motor did not come with a functional ram air system, but I would assume that I can upgrade that with aftermarket components. Can anyone give me the suggestion whether not this is doable and whether or not it's worth the effort?

thank you all so much. Neil

Welcome from Chicago! I added Ram Air to my 73 I had in high school. It was not hard at all. I am planning to add it when I get to that point on the 71 that I am currently restoring. I have been buying most of my parts from NPD, and that's where I plan to purchase the ram Air components. As you can see from the pic, I already bought, painted and installed the air cleaner. When I fist bought the car, I purchased some parts from CJ pony parts off the recommendation of the guy I bought the car from. I have had much better experience with NPD as far as quality of parts as well as customer service.

The story behind how I was able to add Ram Air to the 73 as a high school kid was funny. When I was 16 in 1981, I went to a video store with my girl friend and a "older" guy (like 60, doesn't seem so old now, lol) standing at the check out says as we walk in "Nice Mach". I say thanks and he says does it have Ram Air to which I respond "I wish". He says do you want it? I say who doesn't, and he says do you want to be a smart ass or do you want a free Ram Air set up? Turned out he bought a brand new 71 Mach 1 in 71 and it didn't have Ram Air so the dealer ordered him all of the components to add it. The parts came in and he brought them home to install them. That weekend his brother borrowed his car for a date and the brother totaled the car. The new Mach that he bought with the insurance money already had Ram Air so he put all the Ford boxes up in his garage attic for 10 years. He gave me everything for free, the whole set up including hardware and vacuum lines. My girl friend was complaining that he was looking down her shirt at her cleavage and I said let him look he is giving me free Ram air, lol.

As far as radio upgrade, A guy I met at a car show told me about a company called Aurora designs. I am going to look in to sending my factory Ford radio to them to have it upgraded. I heard the radio in this guy's car at a car show and it sound like a high end aftermarket system but he had a factory radio. He said they aren't cheap, but he really was impressed with them and his radio sounded great. You can send your factory radio and they can put blue-tooth and have different packages for a two channel or four channel amps with more power internally in the radio. I think I am going to look at having them do my radio when the resto is done and I am focusing on the non-essentials.

Attachments

• Mach 1 530.jpg
    Mach 1 530.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 0
Well, gentlemen, I appreciate everyone responding onto this thread. I wasn't sure if I was looking at my thread or others but I am learning my way through this forum.

At this point, the car runs great. I do have a couple of issues I would like to address. One being, I would like to have a couple of new door panels as one of them is starting to crack due to the brittleness and the age. I've looked at several on different sites, but I wasn't sure if anybody had any experience with these aftermarket door panels, and could offer suggestions. My initial concern is the coloring of the white panel versus what would be in my car after 50 years, as well as the fit.

Also, I'm considering the new Bluetooth radios that have the old-school appearance. The Bluetooth digital gauge when you move the selector bar from what would've been the a.m. to FM. Wondering if anybody has used those and their opinion of that upgrade.

Lastly, I know the Q code motor did not come with a functional ram air system, but I would assume that I can upgrade that with aftermarket components. Can anyone give me the suggestion whether not this is doable and whether or not it's worth the effort?

thank you all so much. Neil
I have the slidebar radio you are describing - it's a moderate-cost option for an upgrade. Not super sound quality but plenty good if you aren't an audiophile. The bluetooth works fine for any current phone, and you can take or make calls. There is a microphone with a reasonably long lead so you can get creative with placement. The radio has an option for a "hard-wire" connection to an ipod, but (unless the company has upgraded recently) it is older so doesn't work with current iphones.

I'm running front and rear pioneer speakers without an amp (I forget the specs) and they sound pretty decent. The internal equalizer, fade/balance and output controls are pretty standard. The only real compliant I have is that I think the fake radio face could be a little better, but at a glance, you wouldn't realize it's just a graphic.

I think it's a cost-effective option if you aren't wanting to really high end.

Thanks to 71Coop and tpj71mach for your replies. I will do some research on your suggestions. Today is a beautiful day in Colorado and I am going to drive it to a big car show in Golden. Only a a couple more good weeks of convertible weather in CO. I love the story on your free ram air kit. Always great to get a good find and a story to go with it.
Welcome from Chicago! I added Ram Air to my 73 I had in high school. It was not hard at all. I am planning to add it when I get to that point on the 71 that I am currently restoring. I have been buying most of my parts from NPD, and that's where I plan to purchase the ram Air components. As you can see from the pic, I already bought, painted and installed the air cleaner. When I fist bought the car, I purchased some parts from CJ pony parts off the recommendation of the guy I bought the car from. I have had much better experience with NPD as far as quality of parts as well as customer service.

The story behind how I was able to add Ram Air to the 73 as a high school kid was funny. When I was 16 in 1981, I went to a video store with my girl friend and a "older" guy (like 60, doesn't seem so old now, lol) standing at the check out says as we walk in "Nice Mach". I say thanks and he says does it have Ram Air to which I respond "I wish". He says do you want it? I say who doesn't, and he says do you want to be a smart ass or do you want a free Ram Air set up? Turned out he bought a brand new 71 Mach 1 in 71 and it didn't have Ram Air so the dealer ordered him all of the components to add it. The parts came in and he brought them home to install them. That weekend his brother borrowed his car for a date and the brother totaled the car. The new Mach that he bought with the insurance money already had Ram Air so he put all the Ford boxes up in his garage attic for 10 years. He gave me everything for free, the whole set up including hardware and vacuum lines. My girl friend was complaining that he was looking down her shirt at her cleavage and I said let him look he is giving me free Ram air, lol.

As far as radio upgrade, A guy I met at a car show told me about a company called Aurora designs. I am going to look in to sending my factory Ford radio to them to have it upgraded. I heard the radio in this guy's car at a car show and it sound like a high end aftermarket system but he had a factory radio. He said they aren't cheap, but he really was impressed with them and his radio sounded great. You can send your factory radio and they can put blue-tooth and have different packages for a two channel or four channel amps with more power internally in the radio. I think I am going to look at having them do my radio when the resto is done and I am focusing on the non-essentials.

Just bought Bright Blue Metallic Boss 351 with a Texas Tech sticker on trunk from central Texas. I was wondering if anyone may know of this car?

Back