7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark White

Reaction score
My Car
1971 'Executive Demo' convertible. Every option, Boss 351. All original barn find. Nice.
20140723_080337.JPG20140723_075804.JPGfordmarketingdecal.JPGMUSTANG.JPGHello everyone!

I have a 1971 Mustang Convertible, one owner, 60 k miles. It is a rare 'Executive Demo' made for Regional Ford Sales Managers. I have a book that shows the options available, and it does not have the Boss 429 option. But it does have everything else. Power windows, tilt wheel, rim blow, 351 Boss motor, power everything. Magnum 500 wheels, etc. etc. I have some questions, in the drivers window is a sticker, decal, from 'FORD Marketing Corporation' and it says...'Reconditioned to FORD Marketing Corporation Standards'. Ok, I bought this car on a lien sale out of a barn in California, and the story I got was the car was ordered by a Regional Sales Manager, in the Bay Area. He sold it to his niece, who was the person who stored it for about 35 years. Could it have been sent to the recondition service before the relative took the car? Is the Boss motor a Ford recondition service? My understanding is there are no Boss motors with C6 automatics. The car is original paint and interior and almost everything else. The tires and oil filter have been changed. I did make two changes.... the exhaust was rusted, so I installed 2 1/2 inch 316 stainless steel pipes and mufflers. I replaced the plastic convertible top with the most expensive canvas top I could find, so it matches my Z4 M BMW top. What can you tell me? Thanks! Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Arkansas, I would really like to see pics of your car. A marti report should tell you what your car was born with.

Welcome to the site and get a elite marti report Like RPMCarter said and it will tell you everything you want to know about the car.

John J

Hello everyone!

I have a 1971 Mustang Convertible, one owner, 60 k miles. It is a rare 'Executive Demo' made for Regional Ford Sales Managers. I have a book that shows the options available, and it does not have the Boss 429 option. But it does have everything else. Power windows, tilt wheel, rim blow, 351 Boss motor, power everything. Magnum 500 wheels, etc. etc. I have some questions, in the drivers window is a sticker, decal, from 'FORD Marketing Corporation' and it says...'Reconditioned to FORD Marketing Corporation Standards'. Ok, I bought this car on a lien sale out of a barn in California, and the story I got was the car was ordered by a Regional Sales Manager, in the Bay Area. He sold it to his niece, who was the person who stored it for about 35 years. Could it have been sent to the recondition service before the relative took the car? Is the Boss motor a Ford recondition service? My understanding is there are no Boss motors with C6 automatics. The car is original paint and interior and almost everything else. The tires and oil filter have been changed. I did make two changes.... the exhaust was rusted, so I installed 2 1/2 inch 316 stainless steel pipes and mufflers. I replaced the plastic convertible top with the most expensive canvas top I could find, so it matches my Z4 M BMW top. What can you tell me? Thanks! Mark
Welcome. Looks like you got yourself a nice find.

You'll definitely want to run a Marti report, though a few things can be cleared up now:

No R-code Boss 351's were ever produced as convertibles. A similar R-code known as the 351HO 4V - without the Boss moniker - was available in all '72 models, though convertible production was all of 13 cars, all of which came with wide-ration 4-speed toploaders. Next down from an R-code would be an M-code 351C 4V. These were plentiful in all models, and found with U-code C6 transmissions. What's your VIN? The letter after 1F03 will be your engine code. Prefix will be 1T03 if New Jersey production, 1R03 if San Jose. "F" is Dearborn and the most common.

What color combo do you have? Can give you production stats on that. A few random things I pulled out from Marti's Mustangs, By the Numbers book:

One convertible was produced in '71 as an Executive Car - but that's entirely different from a demonstrator made for executive purposes.

380 convertibles in '71 with tilt wheels,

462 '71 convertibles with power windows,

104 with factory Magnum 500's (beware - common dealer add-on!)

-Kurt

This will be an interesting one to follow..

Welcome from SE Michigan.

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

+1 on the Marty report, especially as this seems to be quite an interesting car. It'd be really cool to know what it's all about.

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Kurt (cuda888) mentions some valid info. Dounds like you have an interesting car but do your homework.

We have a few other '73 owners with Ford Marketing ties. You guys could help each other out a lot!

Ray

Hello everyone!

Pic's 2012 117.jpg

Hello everyone!

WOW! Thank you for all of the responses! What a forum, I am over whelmed! I ran down to the garage and got some pics. The vin is: 1F03M...San Jose is where it was sold. 9 inch rear. Offset shocks, front disk brakes. Front and rear anti roll bars. GT guages, 8 track needed a new belt, but plays as good as they ever did. Ha! I found a build sheet tucked in the passenger side carpet under the dash, and it says Magnums are factory. They have a white paint mark on the inside of the rim. It has a factory aluminum intake and dual point distributor, with solid lifters. My real concern is if the wife can out run me in the 1/4 mile with that bimmer.....she is a hell of a driver, and has 329 hp in 3,024 lb car with a 6 speed. The Mustang is kinda scarry, makes a big noise, and goes like hell. This car is pretty cool, even the old original floor mats are in pretty good shape. I cleaned it up for a year, then went to another project. I am ordering the Marty Executive report today. What can I get for this time capsule? Should I get the Hockey stick stripes? I think they look cool. The paint is OK, but I would like to have it 'restored'. If this car is worth anything as a survivor, I do not want to lower its value by changing too much. Again, many thanks to every ones responses, the good advice is very much appreciated!

Pics.

more pics.

more pics part 3.

Have you seen this decal?

20140723_075804.JPG

MUSTANG.JPG

20140723_080337.JPG

fordmarketingdecal.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back