New owner, new to forum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August07

Reaction score
My Car
Gold 1972 Grande, H-type
I’ve loved mustangs since I was little and saw the movie bullitt, I just bought my 1972 Mustang Grande for a considerably low price and am on a journey trying to get it back to its former glory and beauty. Any helpful suggestions are absolutely appreciated!IMG_4989.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4851.jpeg
    IMG_4851.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4779.jpeg
    IMG_4779.jpeg
    976.2 KB · Views: 5
I sold my first Mach 1 about a year ago and regretted it ever since. So, I found this one and it has become my latest acquisition. I am enjoying it and get so many positive comments on the color. It is a factory “Bright Lime” car. Marti Report says it’s one of 282 with this paint/trim code. I would love to replace the non original steering wheel with a black factory one if any of you guys know where I might find one. IMG_4472.jpegIMG_4474.jpegIMG_4473.jpeg

Welcome again from SW Ontario, Canada.
We're here to help...... and have a bit of fun as well.
It looks like your car has a ton of potential and with lots of 'elbow grease' will clean up really nicely. I notice it seems to have a few "add-ons" in front of the rad.
Anyway get her running and enjoy it for a while before getting too far into a restoration.

Welcome. Stanglover's suggestion is spot on. Drive it a bit and get the feel of it. Have you restored a car before? It's important to 'have a plan'. You don't want to start down a 100% restoration and then decide you actually want to make it 'your own'. First glance tells me that's a Cleveland. Are you planning on sticking with the Cleveland and original drive train? Do you want to swap in a manual tranny or maybe an OD? Are you doing to show the car, daily drive it or make it a weekend cruizer? You don't have to answer all of these but they are some of factors in you decisions and you will save a lot of money and time if you honestly tell yourself what you are looking to do with the car. Also, set some cash aside for any 'deal' that might show up. Not only to get good prices but also to grab some of the harder to come by parts.

hopefully back to the day she rolled off the line 51 years ago
That's good, but if it's not a very rare, very low milage etc. don't go down the "concours" rabbit hole. That gets waaay toooo expensive. You can easily make it "look tight" without going broke doing it. Making the small details look correct matters and to most, it will look the way you want it. It's still a lot of work, but when you get the kudo's at car shows, that's very satisfying.

Last edited:
August07, This is my 71. I kept it clean, original appearing without going overboard. The trick is to buy paints that are as close as correct as possible as well as decals and stickers placed where they ought to be. Parts that were supposed to be "Slop Grey" are. Ink stamps where they should be if possible (I'm missing a couple, but wth).
There will be lots of help on the details, just ask if not sure.

Attachments

• 20211028_165018 (3).jpg
    20211028_165018 (3).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
Welcome from Chicago! You have found the right forum for our cars! There are so many very knowledgeable and helpful people on here. I have learned a lot for the members on this site since I started on it and continue to learn.
It looks like you have a nice Mustang to start with, you have to love those California cars! The engine compartment (except the remote cooler and overflow tank) looks unusually unmolested and nicely stock! I love that you are shooting for making like it was when it rolled out 51 years ago. I agree with Stanglover about driving it and enjoying it and a good pressure washing and some painting and correct decals and that engine compartment could be ready for a car show (FYI personally love Dupli-color Ceramic engine paint I keep a can of just about every color in my paint cabinet). Every part and the engine itself on the engine of my car (see pic) was painted with that product, except the slop gray parts. That paint was bought from NPD, they offer the Ford slop gray in light and dark in aerosol cans.. I have been using that Ceramic engine paint for years on all of my cars and it holds up very well I have found.
Good luck with your progress and remember, these guys are the guru's on these cars. Don't be afraid to ask questions, someone on this forum will have the answers.

Attachments

• Mach 1 534.jpg
    Mach 1 534.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi again.
I went back to take a closer look at your engine pics. Everything is there, including a friggin Flex Fan!! That ought to be about the only thing you chuck as far as you can........ away from the car. If you want to upgrade the fan, a clutch type with an 18" fan works very well on my car. I'll post the numbers later if you want them.
The flex fans have blown up and killed people and as yours is 51 years old, I certainly wouldn't trust it. The slightest crack in a blade could be all it takes. How do I know? I used to work at the factory where they were made. I've personally seen what damage they can do WHEN they blow up on test rigs. I mean a blade buried through 4" of oak. That'll get your attention.

This is a notice to all members, unless your car is a trailer queen and a concours high dollar car, get rid of them asap. You could clean them up, mount a clock in the middle and hang it on the wall, but get it as far away for your car as possible.

Back