New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting really close now. Got the top of the hood trunk lid and hood molding painted today. I will let it set over the weekend and then flip them and shoot the bottoms probably Monday. Just need to get them installed and wet sanded and buffed out. Get decals on and I am DONE!!!

Great to see some excellent work and nearly finished must be a relief

Just a quick question what do you find works best removing paint from underside of hood, trunk etc?

I'm about to start this phase and curious about different methods apart from abrasive blasting

Great to see some excellent work and nearly finished must be a relief

Just a quick question what do you find works best removing paint from underside of hood, trunk etc?

I'm about to start this phase and curious about different methods apart from abrasive blasting
Thanks and yes it is a relief to be getting closer to being done. The customer is supposed to pick it up Friday evening. 

As far as removing the paint from the back of the trunk and hood. I used a combination of things. I did a lot of the rusty areas (bottom of doors) with a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder. That also got rid of the seam sealer in the edges pretty easily. Then I used a 3" 80 grit disc on an air angle grinder, and I also used a regular DA sander with 80 grit for the bigger areas.  With using the combination of the 3 it worked out pretty well. Also a lot of plain old hand sanding!!! :shootself:

Got bottom of hood sprayed black. Got the hood and trunk lid wetsanded and buffed last night. Got the trunk lid installed. Hopefully tonight get hood on and stripes on deck lid. Then one final detailing and Friday getting new tires put on. Then Friday evening the customer will get to pick up his ride!!

Well she is all together. I'm into this project for 460hrs total from start to finish. And I learned a ton along the way. I'm taking it to get some new tires on it tomorrow and the owner is going to pick it up tomorrow evening. I will detail it 1 more time before he picks it up. But overall it's all together and ready. I will post up some more finished pics of it tomorrow out in the sun. But here's a few to give you an idea. Interior is original except for the steering wheel and radio. 

image hosting

It's officially done!!! Got the tires on today and she went home!! Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help through this build. I appreciated everyone's comments and well wishes. The owner picked up the car tonight and was very happy. I had 460 hours in it and a lot of bud light! Glad it's done and now I can move on to building that back deck for my wife!! Here's the finished pics with the new tires. As close to original looking as we could get. 

wow. just wow! I just looked at all 22 pages, took a few hours but what an awesome job on the car and also on documenting all the steps with so many pictures! a big thank you for that (gonna increase your rep after this reply!)

the downside of having read all this is that I'm now scared of doing the same as I have no experience ;-/

well done mr turtle!

ERMAGERD!! You do AWESOME work!   ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Beautiful job!   :bravo:

Back