New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mach71351cKevin are going to paint the honeycomb moldings? :whistling:

Yeah just haven't got that far. I was just test fitting stuff. Did you use the AMK fasteners for the honeycomb? Were they long enough??
No I used longer one from my stash.
How did you paint your moldings??  I taped them off really nice. Wiped them down with wax and grease remover. Scuffed them with a red scotch brite. Wiped with wax and grease remover again. Then shot with Krylon rattle can. They looked great.  Peeled the tape off and half the paint came with it! :shootself:  I could peel the paint off with my fingernail. Im assuming I didn't scuff it hard enough for the paint to get tooth.  I am going to give it another try tonight but sand it with 220 and scratch the shit out of it. Prime it, then shoot again.

Finished wet sanding the car with 2000 then 2500 last night. The shine is actually starting to come back after the 2500. I will get to buffing in a few days. Got the tail lights finished up and assembled. They turned out nice. It's getting closer! 

Looks great! Damn you are working fast!

Have you thought about to finish the sanding with a 4000 grit and then polish it? :)
Thanks guys. I doubt I'm going any further than 2500. It should buff out pretty easy. I have always wanted to try 4000-5000 grit. They say that buffs out effortlessly. I kinda cheated and used the DA with a 1/2" interface pad and 1200 grit then 2000 grit. Way easier to sand than by hand!! Just gotta be careful but it goes fast. Pretty forgiving with interface pad. I did the 2500 by hand. This will be fine for a driver car.

Did some touch up wet sanding. She's ready to buff. Got the taillight panel and gas cap installed. Couldn't help it had to see some bling on the car. Hopefully get it buffed this weekend and some more assembled. 

Everything looks great! I can't believe how fast you work. Nice job. Ryan

Just curious, what are you using to buff and what kind of pads? Looks like it's turning out great! Ryan

Just curious, what are you using to buff and what kind of pads? Looks like it's turning out great! Ryan
Thanks Ryan. I am using Wizards mystic cut compound on a yellow foam pad. And I am using 3m's perfect-it II glaze on a gray foam pad. I use flat foam pads not waffle, just my preference.

Got some stuff cleaned and installed today. Door handles, quarter window, weatherstripping, scuff plates, etc.  still lots more to go. Pulled car outside to do some assembly. It looks pretty good outside. 

Back