New proportioning valve and problems !

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amach_one

Reaction score
My Car
1973 MACH ONE
Hi all, today a new problem :

I have just changed the proportioning valve and I have the brake light which stays on all the time even though I have brakes on all 4 wheels, the new oil level in the master cylinder and no leaks...I am worried because I read somewhere that the brakes could lock up ! Is it really possible that the brakes are locking up because of the proprtioning valve?

Thank you for your opinions and advices !!

The procedure Sheriff posted is for a factory installed proportioning valve. If you have one from an aftermarket manufacturer, anything is possible. I've never had an issue centering the valve simply by bleeding the brakes.

Hi all, today a new problem :

I have just changed the proportioning valve and I have the brake light which stays on all the time even though I have brakes on all 4 wheels, the new oil level in the master cylinder and no leaks...I am worried because I read somewhere that the brakes could lock up ! Is it really possible that the brakes are locking up because of the proprtioning valve?

Thank you for your opinions and advices !!
If you removed the front brake calipers,make sure the bleeders point twards the rear brakes as the bleeder port skims beside the piston bore. If you point them up ,you’ll never get even most of the air. If you only did the proportioning valve as stated,follow the above mentioned valve centering instructions. Some aftermarket valves require a centering tool. It’s available on Amazon. Persistence is the key. Don’t drive with spongy brakes..

I finally think i will redo my original proportioning valve with the kit and the screw tool necessary i yet ordered for avoiding that the piston move during the next bleeding ! Thank you all !(y)

I had the same problem. I bought a new positioning valve from NPD that came with the switch and had still had the light coming on. I bought another replacement switch from NPD and continued to have the problem. Then I bought a genuine Ford switch and discovered that the plunger on the switch was shorter than the one from NPD and the problem was solved. If you used a switch from NPD (I've seen the same switch on other websites) its a Chinese knock off that is not made per the original specifications. I recommend searching for a genuine Ford switch.

Back