New to site

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI6Agent007

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mach 1
Hi ya’ll,
I’m Miguel, and new here. I am looking forward to start on my new project, restoring my ‘73 351 Cleveland Mack 1 which my uncle is the original owner that needs full restoration.

My 1973 Mach 1 was a gift from my uncle; unfortunately, squatters stole the factory 351 Cleveland engine and factory transmission, so now I don’t know what to do. Initially I wanted to keep it all original since it was all original, but now I’m at a loss since motor and trans are gone. What can I do for replacement motor and transmission? I doubt I can find another 351 Cleveland and factory trans, what would be the tactical approach to solve this issue? Cost wise, what am I looking at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Going to take my time, learn as I go, and build her right, so wish me a lot of luck.

Welcome from Chicago! That's a shame that someone stole the engine out of the car. I am sure you can find another Cleveland and transmission. I bought my 71 Mach 1 without an engine and was able to find one fairly easily. My Mustang did have the original FMX trans lying in the front floor when I bought it, which in retrospect I wish it didn't. If there was no transmission with the car, I might have looked for an overdrive transmission and rebuilt that instead of the FMX. Just a suggestion as long as you are looking for both, I would recommend looking for an overdrive transmission for the sake of drivability.

Last edited:
Welcome from Chicago! That's a shame that someone stole the engine out of the car. I am sure you can find another Cleveland and transmission. I bought my 71 Mach 1 without an engine and was able to find one fairly easily. My Mustang did have the original FMX trans lying in the front floor when I bought it, which in retrospect I wish it didn't. If there was no transmission with the car, I might have looked for an overdrive transmission and rebuilt that instead of the FMX. Just a suggestion as long as you are looking for both, I would recommend looking for an overdrive transmission for the sake of drivability.
Thank you for the insight

Yea, here in So Cal, I’ve seen quite a few engines for sale. Why don’t you tell us more about your plans for the restoration. It will help calibrate us to know what to recommend along the way. Welcome.

The motor and trans are easy. As tj said, an AOD or T5 are relatively common and about the cheapest way to go overdrive.

There are plenty of motors out there. Use Facebook Marketplace or the Mustang/351Cleveland pages and forums. Heck, Craigslist and Ebay, too.

If you want to keep it more or less original, need to determine if it was an H- code (351c 2v carb) or a Q-code (351c 4v carb).
If it is an H (5th digit in the VIN), people will almost give away 2v heads/manifolds. Frequently decent or rebuilt heads come up pretty cheap. Blocks are pretty much the same and interchangeable.
There are many paths. Just need to figure out what you want to do and how much to spend.

Latest posts

Back