New to the group...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome from all over the world! yes, this is a major undertaking for me, it has been 25 years since I last attempted this... I wanted to do one last car, but one that was initially complete in terms of original parts, rare and a big block... When this car became available, I decided that this was the one and I went all out to get it, including trading in a turn key '73 California mustang convertible + a bucket full of cash... and it still requires a full restoration! Why not...

I am not a computer guy, pretty basic skills. I have been documenting the tear down of the car, 450 pictures so far. If I can figure out how to start a picture hosting site, I will post them there. Currently, doing the dirty work, much of this car has never been apart in its 44 years. Has some issues, (ie. the use of rear air shocks has caused some stress cracks in the rear trunk pan and the shock housings, I hate air shocks!!!), but they can be fixed. the car is due to go on the rotisserie at the end of the month if I can get it stripped down in time. I am working every day... Hope the picture I attached comes through... Cheers.

convert tear down progress.jpg

Thanks for the welcome from all over the world! yes, this is a major undertaking for me, it has been 25 years since I last attempted this... I wanted to do one last car, but one that was initially complete in terms of original parts, rare and a big block... When this car became available, I decided that this was the one and I went all out to get it, including trading in a turn key '73 California mustang convertible + a bucket full of cash... and it still requires a full restoration! Why not...

I am not a computer guy, pretty basic skills. I have been documenting the tear down of the car, 450 pictures so far. If I can figure out how to start a picture hosting site, I will post them there. Currently, doing the dirty work, much of this car has never been apart in its 44 years. Has some issues, (ie. the use of rear air shocks has caused some stress cracks in the rear trunk pan and the shock housings, I hate air shocks!!!), but they can be fixed. the car is due to go on the rotisserie at the end of the month if I can get it stripped down in time. I am working every day... Hope the picture I attached comes through... Cheers.
A warm welcome from Detroit and look forward to following your story

Although the car came with the original door identification tag, buck tag, trans tag, and rear end tag; the engine tag was no where to be found on the top of the engine (should be under the coil)... I thought it was long gone and I was going to order a replacement from K. Marti. However, today I was cleaning some of the various steel tubing pieces, removing grease etc. I grabbed the piece of tubing that provides vacuum from the the top of the engine intake manifold to the transmission and as I was cleaning, I removed a bent piece of what I thought was just a metal bracket. Upon closer inspection, I saw the #'s "429" and I realized what I had. I carefully straightened it out and low and behold, it was the original engine tag. Wow! I surmised that someone removed it when replacing/removing the coil previously and unlike many in the past where it was tossed, they had the good sense to keep it with the car by attaching it to the tubing at the back of the engine on the firewall, where it has remained all these years covered in grease and bent like a bracket. Today, was a good day!

429cj convertible engine tag.jpg

Back