Non flapper ram air question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarguy

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351 Cleveland
Just bought a 72 with ram air.  The plenum has no actuators or flappers in the ducts.  There's no penetrations on the underside of the ducts where the actuators would have been either.

So my question is, how important are the flapper/actuators?  If the vents are open all the time, isn't the air cleaner getting the same amount of respiration?

more air with open ducts ??? well kinda... more so then none but not the same as if ducted onto the air filter like the ram air would be.. don't forget if u drive in rain the water gets everywhere and our old cars really don't like direct water flow. it's not u WILL have an issue but a better chance of it. i blocked mine off with the covers u get on ebay.

Just bought a 72 with ram air.  The plenum has no actuators or flappers in the ducts.  There's no penetrations on the underside of the ducts where the actuators would have been either.

So my question is, how important are the flapper/actuators?  If the vents are open all the time, isn't the air cleaner getting the same amount of respiration?
They are only important if you want a factory original look. A lot of us have the plenum and ducts with non-working actuators since they are not available anymore. So they are open all the time.

my photos upload

Cool. That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Buying a new plenum just to harvest the actuators would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Thanks!

Mine are left open all the time. Car is never driven in rain so it's fine with me. There aren't even any vacuum lines run to the actuators, which I'll assume failed a while ago. Bought the car this way. I guess sometime I should run some vacuum lines to make it look real. lol

Sounds like you have the first repro unit made by Leon at Ford ram air

He made a plenum with no flappers and a fiberglass base with no snorkel many years ago.

Mine are left open all the time. Car is never driven in rain so it's fine with me. There aren't even any vacuum lines run to the actuators, which I'll assume failed a while ago. Bought the car this way. I guess sometime I should run some vacuum lines to make it look real. lol
That's me, too. I still need to paint my Ram Air air cleaner and plumb the hoses, but they'll only be there for looks - I have no intention of make it function 'properly' again, since I don't drive it in the rain either. ::cool::

If you want to add the flappers actuators check out this thread: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-hood-ram-air-housings-inserts-flap-components?highlight=EC514

If you don't want to rebuild your current actuator you can take the route I took. I purchased an actuator that closely matches the OEM, and with a few modifications you can make it work. It was relatively easy and works great. I used screws to attach it instead of rivets to make it easier. Doesn't look exact, but close.

I used the Borg Warner #EC514. They are hard to find, but here are some cross-references:

AIRTEX 6V1021

CARQUEST 577750

WELLS E308

MOTORCRAFT CX149

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like you have the first repro unit made by Leon at Ford ram air

He made a plenum with no flappers and a fiberglass base with no snorkel many years ago.
Wow, you guys know these machines.  My plenum scoops are fiberglass and my air filter has no snokel.  Just a notch to accommodate the distributer.

If you want to add the flappers actuators check out this thread: https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-hood-ram-air-housings-inserts-flap-components?highlight=EC514

If you don't want to rebuild your current actuator you can take the route I took. I purchased an actuator that closely matches the OEM, and with a few modifications you can make it work. It was relatively easy and works great. I used screws to attach it instead of rivets to make it easier. Doesn't look exact, but close.

I used the Borg Warner #EC514. They are hard to find, but here are some cross-references:

AIRTEX 6V1021

CARQUEST 577750

WELLS E308

MOTORCRAFT CX149
Here's the updated link

Hood Ram Air- housings, inserts & flap components - Engine, Transmission, Drive Line, Etc - 7173Mustangs.com

Back