NOS oil pan?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Has anybody ever seen one of these oil pans? I bought it of Ebay, the seller claims it was available in the 70's from the Shelby performance catalogs. It is a 7 qt pan. I am trying to find info so I can pick out an oil pickup for it, otherwise I will have to modify one.

20150724_084740.jpg

20150724_084712.jpg

wow that will sit REALLY low under the car.

the reproduction BOSS 351 pan has a very nice baffle inside and looks stock.

scott drake

its "ENGINE OIL PAN STEEL 70/73 351C/351CJ/BOSS 351"

i bought mine about 8-9 years ago and the pan had a very nice baffle inside.

i believe it also holds either 1 or 2 extra quarts in it.

That's not an NOS anyhing, the little circular impression in the back half is a dead giveaway of a reproduction pan core.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-20557/overview/make/ford

The story goes that the prototype pans hit the rods, so the supplier welded a round slug into the tool to make room. The ribs formed into the sump extender and baffles makes me think it's a Milodon pan. It may very well be a Shelby part, but the seller doesn't show the specific entry in the catalog.

That said, I wouldn't worry much about running that pan on the street unless you have a wasted front end or drive at full speed over speedbumps. It's only been dropped a couple inches, so just be careful. For a pickup, put a straightedge across the rails and measure to the bottom of the pan. Take that info and make yourself a pickup that leaves 3/8" under the screen, or give Moroso or Canton a call.

Back