NZ Vert Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had the fail report back from the compliance workshop

Had tested all the lights on Saturday before she went to compliance Monday but might have been before I tested the washer motor.

Report says

RR brake lights and indicator not working

RF lights not working properly

Headlight aim needs adjusting

Rear brake balance needs adjusting for better performance

Not bad considering this amateur put it together with an old wiring loom out of a wrecked 73 grande! . Must have blown a fuse or bad earth.

Their auto sparky will take a look and they can sort the rest

If I get a report like that will be more than happy, only minor issues

Hopefully you get the hand brake sorted and if you need I have an old pedal assembly you can have but not sure of condition yet

Not sure if you get our Falcons over there but I installed an AU Falcon floor mounted handbrake along with EL rear discs

You probably want to keep it original but if interested let me know

Hopefully you get the hand brake sorted and if you need I have an old pedal assembly you can have but not sure of condition yet

Not sure if you get our Falcons over there but I installed an AU Falcon floor mounted handbrake along with EL rear discs

Cheers. 

I was given some XA falcon discs for the front and they took the same bearings but I couldn't get them to tighten up properly so had to buy 71-73 Mustang rotors. Hope to change the rears to discs eventually and probably beefier suspension but budget definitely doesn't allow for that until I've paid it off! Lol. They didn't mention the park brake so I'm keeping quiet. I did tell the mechanic prior though so I presume they may have adjusted the tension when on the hoist

Cheers. 

I was given some XA falcon discs for the front and they took the same bearings but I couldn't get them to tighten up properly so had to buy 71-73 Mustang rotors. Hope to change the rears to discs eventually and probably beefier suspension but budget definitely doesn't allow for that until I've paid it off! Lol. They didn't mention the park brake so I'm keeping quiet. I did tell the mechanic prior though so I presume they may have adjusted the tension when on the hoist
That's unusual as I used XY/XA rotors DBA106HS and pads S776HD. Also replaced wheel bearings with XA onwards kit 2746. From my fading memory the new discs might have had XY type bearing races installed and had to remove and fit XA type from the kit but can't remember if both inner and outer. Correct Mustang part numbers should be outer cone LM12749 outer race LM12710 inner cone L68149 inner race L68110

Well team. Good news the muzzy is now officially road legal. Initial report of failures were minor.

The headlights needed adjusting

Right rear brake lights and indicator not working (had checked them day before ) but was just a bad earth

Front right lights not operating properly (same earth problem)

Rear drum brakes uneven

All sorted by compliance centre who are a mechanical workshop as well. They also repaired the foot brake and did the wheel alignment.

Have had several drives and absolutely loving it. I can't thank everyone on here enough for their advice and links to solve the issues.

I am pleased I managed to get her together in just under a year in time for our largest classic car gathering Beach Hop 2019. This included a full front end rebuild, engine rebuild, gearbox rebuild and a shit load of new parts! Budget of 30k nzd well and truly blown but worth it. The grin is hard to wipe off my face

2 weeks to go until the hop. Just sorting a few more things. Off to upholsters tomorrow for roof and a bit more trim and weather seals and door panels to fit.

Photo is of me and the neighbour (whose fault it is for getting me into a classic car) with his 68 Camaro 582 cubic inch monster (800hp + 300hp NOS) 10.5 1/4 mile without NOS

Oh the front plate is only cable tied there temporarily while we make up a bracket. Our NZ plates are a different size and holes in different places. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh the front plate is only cable tied there temporarily while we make up a bracket. Our NZ plates are a different size and holes in different places. 

Congratulations on making it road legal. Makes all that effort worthwhile

Do you not get special dispensation on the plates because its a classic car?

Here in the UK we can have American sized plates and we can have black background with silver digits as opposed to new cars which need black letters on a white background on the front and yellow background on the rear

Back