OD trans options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mezosoic, Sorry I missed the lock up clutch somehow. That should take care of the light load cruise fluid heating issue. With the 3.55:1 rear gear it is still going to be "soft" coming from a stop under light acceleration. It is just something to get used to. Please keep us updated. Sorry for the confusion.

Chuck

Mezosoic, Sorry I missed the lock up clutch somehow. That should take care of the light load cruise fluid heating issue. With the 3.55:1 rear gear it is still going to be "soft" coming from a stop under light acceleration. It is just something to get used to. Please keep us updated. Sorry for the confusion.

Chuck
No worries. I appreciate just having people scrutinize what I'm doing because it really helps in not making any mistakes!

I have looked into the Gear Vendors overdrive units, but they're very expensive and the C6 still wouldn't have lock up, so I ruled them out a while ago.

I've learned a few things about torque converter design recently.

1. If you're looking at units with a billet front cover you don't need to worry about the "anti-balloon plate" feature. That's already taken care of by virtue of the billet cover.
  2. If you're going to put over 450 ft-lbs of torque through the converter when it's locked up, you simply have to run a multi-disc converter.
  3. A 10" unit will perform better than a 9" unit if road racing and high speed driving are the more common use cases. If drag racing is the primary use case then the 9" (looser) converter will provide better launches while sacrificing efficiency in other areas.

At this stage I'm pretty much set in terms of ordering a torque converter from Circle D Specialties. Based on numerous feedback I've received regarding loads of manufacturers, these guys seem to stand out the best and they definitely have excellent customer service.

https://www.circledspecialties.com/c-124-pro-series-multi-disk.aspx

Tried to shoehorn my custom built 4R70W transmission into my '71 this evening with the help of a friend. The only major problem we discovered is the crossmember situation. Does anyone know of a genuine bolt-on crossmember that will work in a '71-73 Mustang with a 4R70W transmission?

Also, I got a set of custom made headers by George Klass of Accufab Racing. They're long tube headers with 1 3/4" primaries. Fit perfectly although I had to dimple a small section on the driver side header to clear the nut on my rearmost cylinder head mounting stud. Finally, headers that fit out vehicles with larger primaries than 1.625"!

Hey Jeff/droptop73!

I was rereading your t5 swap thread and remembered you were going to make a full parts list with prices and templates of the custom pieces you fabbed.

Whats the status on that, man?!:D What do I have to do to get it??

Tried to shoehorn my custom built 4R70W transmission into my '71 this evening with the help of a friend. The only major problem we discovered is the crossmember situation. Does anyone know of a genuine bolt-on crossmember that will work in a '71-73 Mustang with a 4R70W transmission?
This guy is making a kit ..Includes the crossmember..shifter linkage..Range sensor arm adapter..Heres his email [email protected] Sdstang just ordered a kit so maybe he can report on it

This guy is making a kit ..Includes the crossmember..shifter linkage..Range sensor arm adapter..Heres his email [email protected] Sdstang just ordered a kit so maybe he can report on it
Just sent out the check. Will be mid October before I know fitment but Joe it the only one I found with a complete solution.

The issue I was seeing was that the stock crossmember (and the aftermarket unit I picked up from Summit) didn't drop down steeply enough from the attachment points to the frame. After doing some research I think the Ron Morris part may work. I'm also seeing that the AOD mounts/crossmembers share design with the Tremec 3550/TKO mounts.

See how this unit drops down immediately? http://www.cjponyparts.com/ron-morris-transmission-crossmember-aod-tremec-1967-1973/p/T5C4/

The issue I was seeing was that the stock crossmember (and the aftermarket unit I picked up from Summit) didn't drop down steeply enough from the attachment points to the frame. After doing some research I think the Ron Morris part may work. I'm also seeing that the AOD mounts/crossmembers share design with the Tremec 3550/TKO mounts.

See how this unit drops down immediately? http://www.cjponyparts.com/ron-morris-transmission-crossmember-aod-tremec-1967-1973/p/T5C4/
I bought the aod mount won't work...sent it back..The problem isn't the drop down it's that the isolator mount pad isn't set back far enough & hits the tranny pan..I ended up using the crites 460 swap crossmember Easy mod to make it work ..a few cuts to clear the pan a few pieces of bar stock welded in to square it off..No need to enlarge mod the isolator mounting holes see post #56 http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-green-72-fastback-former-429-460?page=6

Hello Guys and Gals,

I do have a bolt in solution for this problem and I am in the process of preparing a tutorial and pictures of how to prepare, upgrade and install a 4R70W into a 71-73 body. I have done dozens of these swaps and went through this 7 years ago when I did my Mach1. My parts are BOLT IN no cutting required anywhere and consists of a laser cut cross member that will clear factory exhausts 100%, uses a stock insulator mount, a shiftrod which lets you retain your OEM floor shifter and the range selector mounting bracket that the 4R70W needs in order to "know" what it needs to do.

I will post a link with pictures and follow up this post with a new thread in the coming days for anyone hoping to make this mod. This will make your classic mustang run like the devil and cruise with ease and is one of the best things you can do to further enjoy our hobby.

I have sold over 60 kits to date and installed about 22 personally so I know it works. I invested a lot of time and effort to get this accomplished in a tried and true fashion that is both consistent and successful and I look forward to helping anyone needing assistance.

Regards

Joe Persad

[email protected]

Hello Guys and Gals,

I do have a bolt in solution for this problem and I am in the process of preparing a tutorial and pictures of how to prepare, upgrade and install a 4R70W into a 71-73 body. I have done dozens of these swaps and went through this 7 years ago when I did my Mach1. My parts are BOLT IN no cutting required anywhere and consists of a laser cut cross member that will clear factory exhausts 100%, uses a stock insulator mount, a shiftrod which lets you retain your OEM floor shifter and the range selector mounting bracket that the 4R70W needs in order to "know" what it needs to do.

I will post a link with pictures and follow up this post with a new thread in the coming days for anyone hoping to make this mod. This will make your classic mustang run like the devil and cruise with ease and is one of the best things you can do to further enjoy our hobby.

I have sold over 60 kits to date and installed about 22 personally so I know it works. I invested a lot of time and effort to get this accomplished in a tried and true fashion that is both consistent and successful and I look forward to helping anyone needing assistance.

Regards

Joe Persad

[email protected]
Very good. Definitely interested.

I'm running a B&M Megashifter for shift duties for the previously installed C6 and discovered that B&M now sells an adapter kit for the 4R70W as well... so fortunately I do not have to change shifters.

InjectedMach,

I am definitely interested in your shift-rod configuration. I am currently using the Lokar shifter-rod version and it is OK.

Thank You,

mustang7173 :D

Hello Guys and Gals,

Regards

Joe Persad

[email protected]

All,

PM Joe and I just received the Shifter arm from his kit. It is really nice and heavy duty. I will report back once I have the shifter rod in place.

Thank You Joe!

2j0mhvt.jpg

t0namt.jpg

qxw19z.jpg

30k83g8.jpg

mustang7173 :D

Here's the rest of the kit. I'm over a month away from my install so it will be a while before I can comment but i'm glad I don't have to figure this out myself!!

4r70w kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the rest of the kit. I'm over a month away from my install so it will be a while before I can comment but i'm glad I don't have to figure this out myself!!
The rod & crossmember look nice but is that long piece with the holes in it for the shift selector ? Or is it a bellcrank that reverses the throw ? Curious to see how it goes together.

The rod & crossmember look nice but is that long piece with the holes in it for the shift selector ? Or is it a bellcrank that reverses the throw ? Curious to see how it goes together.
I just opened the package and that's whats in it. Need to wait for Joe's how to:D

No, I haven't searched, but is there a 4R70W for 429-460 applications?

yes,.. art carr in cali has an adapter plate to go between the trans and block. It Clocks the trans a smidge off dead level but it works quite well. thier phone is 763-767-4480

I will rig you the stuff so you all can see how the rangeselector mount is incorporated

joe

Ok, so this evening we installed the 4R70W into the '71, almost once and for all. This is what I have discovered works for making the following combination fit:

• Small block Ford engine ('69 351W in my case)
  • Lakewood Muscle Mounts for engine mounts
  • B&M 50338 SFI flexplate
  • FB Performance triple-disc torque converter, 10", 3000 RPM stall
  • Lengthened bellhousing bolts
  • Ron Morris AOD/Tremec trans crossmember
  • Any '65 Mustang transmission mount

Note that the Ron Morris AOD/Tremec crossmember is a perfect fit for the 4R70W transmission in the '71 chassis with no modification needed. I've tried a few other aftermarket crossmembers and not found a single one that didn't need to be modified in some way. The Ron Morris part fits perfectly and includes new hardware.

The transmission mount had been a bit of a mystery to us, but after trying all sorts of mounts (friend owns a transmission shop, so access to various mounts was possible), we discovered that a stock '65 Mustang transmission mount fits perfectly!

In addition to all this, the VSS and speedometer cable from a '93 Mustang 5.0 with an AOD transmission fits the '71 with a 4R70W perfectly as well. The speedometer cable attachment to the speedo itself works and of course, the transmission side works too. Since the 4R70W has an 8T speedo drive gear, the speedo driven gear will most certainly require adjustment to calibrate the speedo accurately.

Well, it runs like a charm! It's interesting how 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear are basically 6 speeds in total due to the lockup converter. Each gear with the converter unlocked is like a shorter geared version of itself. Once the converter is locked up each gear feels like an entirely different gear.

For most, an aftermarket controller is necessary, but I used a CDAN4 strategy EEC-V with a Moates Quarterhorse programming module and Binary Editor for tuning software. Absolutely everything is adjustable, which is actually quite overwhelming at first. Fortunately however, there are many who have become experts in 4R70W tuning and kindly lent their help on forums as well as on website writeups. I started with the transmission tuning parameters from a '96 Mustang GT with a 4R70W and modified them to work with a high stall speed converter.

I can't wait to make my first interstate voyage with an overdrive transmission!

Back