Oddity?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtltoy

Reaction score
My Car
1965 Fastback
1971 Mach 1
I was looking at shifter bezels for my 1971 Mach 1 and if I'm not mistaken my car came with a 1970 bezel. I've owned the car since 1972 and never replaced it, so I'm pretty sure that's how it came.

Has anyone else come across this?

100_3912_zpsbff111f3.jpg

What is the build date of your car? Not uncommon to see carryover parts in early production cars. Turn it over and look for a part number.

Don't know the build date, but it left the Dearborn plant at 11:04 p.m., Sept. 15, 1970.

Part number is C9ZA-7E034-C

That is probably the original part they used up what they had left.

My 72 has it. I was told the chrome / black metal camera case shifter cover came with fmx transmission cars and the black plastic one came with c6 c4 cars.

My car originally came with a fmx, and has that shifter, it makes sense because the neutral safety switch is located under the shifter bezel on the fmx and on the transmission shifter linkage for a c6 under the car, so the clearance is different for the shifters.

Guess I'll have to stick with the 1969 bezel when I replace it.

While it is possible the early 71 ended up with the 69 - 70 bezel

Every 71-3 I have seen a or had, had the black and chrome plastic bezel D1ZZ- p/n Many were FMX's

Back