Official EBAY clock watch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info Paul

I've spent well over 10 hours a week for 4 years searching every method of parts Craigslist, Hemmings, Auto Trader, ebay (for the record 22 purchases so far not one is as stated on the ad) I havent bought off ebay in 10 years roughly. Funny though I have 22 GREAT ratings for paying IMMEDIATELY so it must not be the quality of my money? I've searched nearly every state and major city even branching out to other communities. So here are a few rough numbers to consider. Cougars 1722 with power windows, Mustangs 1600 for 71. That breaks down to minimum of 17 cars to each major city and not more than 100 for both. I may actually know more about these sets than anybody here other than OMS. I ask questions and I am well versed that Cougar and Mustang share parts including power window components.

Paul great lead. I've called on them for about 4 years. the lead IS a good one, those are the correct clips problem is the quality is at minimum questionable. Turns out I must not have completed the "contact me" thing to be emailed. Heck last year they even ask if I found some and could reproduce them they would buy them from me.

I look them up, called 3 times... on hold....

"all agents are currently assisting other customers...please hold and someone will be with you shortly" Okay and the MUSIC is enough to convince me to give up its hideous. LOL

Guy answers the phone. Not real courteous so to speak...

no guarantee and no refunds. if it breaks you bought it. They had 2 sample pics one very deteriorated looking and he did NOT like my questions about what to expect for quality. He said they all are about that condition and would not guarantee the parts to not be brittle, cracked or bent. If you buy it no refunds its "USED" I replied "sir I'm just trying to understand what quality I would receive if I buy them" his response "Do you have any other questions ..I have other customers to take care of"

Boy what a RUDE AZZHAT!!!

so in conclusion I dont feel real excited about buying from them now. Old Dominion was polite and answered all my questions truthfully. I fully expect I will receive the refund and that I WILL consider them for parts in the future. As for West Coast Cougar? He educated me enhancing my policy to ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have posted being that rare these should look pretty good for $900.00

Also:

68 and up to 71 Torino, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang had the same switches and switch harnesses. This should widen your search options.

The biggest issue are the pancake motors. 1971 - 73 only and a crappy design as well.

I have played with a modified new style nylon strap type motor and track.

Mounted under the rear seats make the rear seats unusable because your butt hits the motors through the seat.

Mounted next to the power top motor the angle is off and the motors can be seen with the trunk open (and look stupid).

So far I have been able to build a OEM set as needed but it is getting harder and harder to find working / save-able pancake motors.

I may revisit retro engineering something to replace the rears.

Best of luck,

- Paul

Yes sir all good info... and Yep my craigslist as 5 searches that automatically populate due to the shear number of attempts. All I have to do is select the new city and bam its there and I simply backspace and the others populate I just pick the next one and go, finish those and pick another city or state. I bet I you name a person here and I can tell you what is for sale in their area...Mustangs and parts.:(

1971|1972 Mustang

1971|1972 cougar

1971|1972 Mercury

1971|1972 Torino

1971|1972 Ford

Through that search I've seen Galaxie/LTD especially convertibles with one and although Torino had them I've NEVER seen one on the net in 4 years. My Ford and Mercury search usually pulls the Falcon (that is an anomaly) , Montego and Monterey for example

I've seen some Lincoln set ups but again I want my car to look original as possible.

143741-500-0.jpg

Like I said your West Coast lead was solid. After 4 years it is absolutely the missing part or two!!! however I'm uncomfortable with the product looking rusty and weak and his enthusiastic enforcement that there is no refund. Oh and the price is DOUBLE the listing from last year...might I add the pic they used was a much better quality piece for the add. He was at least honest (after the third request) the product was not representative of the picture. :s

Paul of MO

All I see for pancake motors for cores or untested expensive

ones on ebay. WCCC will rebuild a pancake core for $200.

I would be more inclined to rebuild it myself and use WCCC

as my source for the parts I need to do so or source or fabricate

the parts on my own. A 12v motor/gearbox is quite simple.

Carter

I would think the used switch clips would be worth taking a chance on.

For the switch bases that have tabs of some sort broken off ... that missing

material could be recreated out of resin and applied to the part easily if a

pattern is available.

I will continue to keep my eye out for the parts both of you guys need

and PM you if I see something exciting.

regards

Paul of CA

He didnt seem real comfortable with the "quality".... therefore I'm not real comfortable taking the risk. He was highly offended when I ask him to identify the quality I saw as in the really great one verses the one I would receive. To his credit he reluctantly said it was "like" the poor quality one seen on the site... and reminded me that he needed to take care of other callers. Seems to me if it was a good part he would have taken my credit card number and processed my order. Although rude I have to give credit to him for "finally" telling the truth.

As for the resin idea...probably an idea that could be done. however the first time you push that bezel on I'm pretty sure I know what the result would be, it would come loose, the clip then has nothing to hold it in place and my luck :s the first car show the bezel would fall in the floor or seat :(

As for the resin idea...probably an idea that could be done. however the first time you push that bezel on I'm pretty sure I know what the result would be, it would come loose, the clip then has nothing to hold it in place and my luck :s the first car show the bezel would fall in the floor or seat :(
We bought some Plastex at SEMA this year and it really impressed us. Steve molded new tabs for the dash bezel and when it was done he would pick the assembly up by the tab and even pulled on it but it stayed solid.

http://www.plastex.net/

We bought some Plastex at SEMA this year and it really impressed us. Steve molded new tabs for the dash bezel and when it was done he would pick the assembly up by the tab and even pulled on it but it stayed solid.

http://www.plastex.net/
I watched the video and looked at the before and after photo's. That looks and as you stated worked perfectly. My observation was the items used as example were non-load bearing parts. I think it looks and sounds like a great product to fix plastic dash parts and maybe a crack in the interior molding or console type items. Heck I think i'll buy some just for those items alone. I'm really interested in the products ability to handle pressure. As for the pw parts... the bezels a very SNUG or tight when placing them back on the base. Snug or tight indicates a certain amount of pressure is in play either putting them on, taking them off, or holding them in place. Hence that's why so many clips are broken. Note the picture above of a Torino Pw bezel. See how the material is sunk in around the bezel? It is a bit tight as it is applied. I'll put it to the test and let you and Brew know the results!!! YEA.

but if I can use the product on other items I'll buy some for sure.

2000507_1.jpg

this is an example of the single switch base. Note the vertical slots in the base on each side. Those are for the infamous clips. If that is cracked which 99% are it has no way of holding the clip. Logic would tell us that if the base is simply sitting there with no interference from exposure, heat, physical use what breaks them? My answer it must be pressure or load bearing vs a tab for a dash part as an example. the console ususally is thicker plastic due to people leaning on it or bearing a load. So I'll put it to the test and let you folks know the result.

1971_mercury_cougar_convertible_8050001424734686076.jpg

this is the car I spoke of earlier. Drove out 75 miles....screws in all the bezels.

Last edited by a moderator:
My original hard-to-find motors died years and years ago. Had no luck finding them new or used. Out of desperation I simply put in the entire regulator/ motor assembly from a 77/79 t-bird. Only had to drill one or two new holes in the door sheetmetal, otherwise fits like a glove and works perfectly. Easy mod, easily replaceable motor.

I guess I do not understand what is missing. But, I am glad they are standing up and doing the right thing by you.

It looks to me that the set up is complete less a few metal clips and 2 DOA switches.

(The clips are 25 bucks new from the cougar site - I did not know that until today!)

Even if a mounting block is cracked it probably still works and as the other Paul stated could be fixed.

I would recommend you should be hunting for a parts car with PW's - Mustang and Cougar are the same. You can find a ratted out one of these for around a grand pretty much at will.

A local has a 71 XR7 with PW's that he want 2K for. We have an agreement that if he can't sell it I will give him $500.00 and haul it off. As of now he has not had any nibbles from CL. (I bet I'll get it).

Not the other Paul
Paul which clips? for the switches or the bezels

Don

I guess I do not understand what is missing. But, I am glad they are standing up and doing the right thing by you.

It looks to me that the set up is complete less a few metal clips and 2 DOA switches.

(The clips are 25 bucks new from the cougar site - I did not know that until today!)

Even if a mounting block is cracked it probably still works and as the other Paul stated could be fixed.

I would recommend you should be hunting for a parts car with PW's - Mustang and Cougar are the same. You can find a ratted out one of these for around a grand pretty much at will.

A local has a 71 XR7 with PW's that he want 2K for. We have an agreement that if he can't sell it I will give him $500.00 and haul it off. As of now he has not had any nibbles from CL. (I bet I'll get it).

Not the other Paul
Paul which clips? for the switches or the bezels

Don
the switches are 65.57 for the toggle, 16.07 for single switch, 25 kinda, the asking price for the clips are roughly 26.87 after web discount. "IF" they are in stock and NO guarantee on quality and NO refund if they happen to break when installed.(some of that I get because you cant be responsible for someone's lack of skill or conditions) but they look pretty POOR to me.

http://www.oldominion.com/

If you need a part guys.... I highly recommend!!! These folks stand up to their word!

I received a full credit as promised. That is almost unheard of from companies on the internet. Very pleasant to deal with and understanding of my concern.

http://www.oldominion.com/

If you need a part guys.... I highly recommend!!! These folks stand up to their word!

I received a full credit as promised. That is almost unheard of from companies on the internet. Very pleasant to deal with and understanding of my concern.
Good to know, glad you got the refund

jbo.... I dont trust ANYONE! I recommend these guys because I brought to their attention the verbage in the ad. They acknowledged the misunderstanding and stood behind their word to refund. !!!

I in turn gave them a positive response on ebay....its the right thing to do.

Back