oil leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
So I have replaced 4 rear mains and still leaking crank was turned .010 bearings look good rope seal changed to other setup roll pin gone I staggered the gaps of the seals the only thing I have not done was replace the oil pan. One machine shop says the line bore must be out of alignment and to rebuild and line bore. Another says it could be the roll pin hole leakingwith pressure behind it and leakingpast oil pan rubber gasket and it could be pcv system. But that's been replaced I don't know what to do I am toying with just trying a differant block and crank all together but having ttrouble finding one for reasonable price.getting tired of this leak and have dumped a lot of money into fixing it. Some one please help is the first machine shop right that clevelands are known for line bore problems from factory or can it be something else all together. I have replaced valve covers oil galley plugs cam plug. Its the original m code engine for the car.what more can I do. Please help me anyone.

So I have replaced 4 rear mains and still leaking crank was turned .010 bearings look good rope seal changed to other setup roll pin gone I staggered the gaps of the seals the only thing I have not done was replace the oil pan. One machine shop says the line bore must be out of alignment and to rebuild and line bore. Another says it could be the roll pin hole leakingwith pressure behind it and leakingpast oil pan rubber gasket and it could be pcv system. But that's been replaced I don't know what to do I am toying with just trying a differant block and crank all together but having ttrouble finding one for reasonable price.getting tired of this leak and have dumped a lot of money into fixing it. Some one please help is the first machine shop right that clevelands are known for line bore problems from factory or can it be something else all together. I have replaced valve covers oil galley plugs cam plug. Its the original m code engine for the car.what more can I do. Please help me anyone.
Two words: seal crush

While the threads below are about seal crush on a 460 engine they may provide some insight to the problem you are having with your cleveland.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135753&referrerid=25042

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147451&highlight=rear+main+seal

If seal crush was the case it would have been a different out come when I changed to a rope seal great info though that's a great thread. Thanks for a reply.

If seal crush was the case it would have been a different out come when I changed to a rope seal great info though that's a great thread. Thanks for a reply.
With all due respect, just because the rope seal leaked does not mean the two piece seals were installed correctly (trimmed to allow .020+/- crush).

I am certainly not trying to suggest that I know this is your problem, I don't. However, if you go as far as disassembling it again for the line hone you may want to make sure whoever puts it back together checks that the seal halves are not too long.

Please let us know if and when you solve the problem. It is posts like this that can help someone down the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember years ago replacing a 400" V8 in a customers Ford pickup. After the install, the darn thing leaked engine oil heavy out the back. We had the pan an on and off, redid rear main seals.. etc. Long story short, we finally added UV tracer dye to the engine oil and ran it for a half hour. Found a very small crack in the engine block just above and to the left of the seal area. Glad we found it... because I was almost out of hair from all the pulling! Point is, we likely would have never found that leak without the UV tracer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back