Oil pressure sensor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digithead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang 351C-4V 4BBL 4 SPEED CONVERTIBLE White
Is it just me or is the oil pressure sender a bit hard to remove from a working car? Man I skinned some knuckles getting that out. Granted I didnt have a stubby 9/16" maybe I should have waited and gone and bought one. Theres just no room up against the firewall. I tried a 90 degree crows foot (think thats the name) on end of 3/8 socket drive to no avail. Could not keep it on there. Tried water pump pliers knowing I had a new one to install but it wouldnt work as the way they are made it just spun the shell body and not the NPT fitting into the engine.

So now tell me there was easier way?

I don't think there is. I am going to probably have to change mine. Will know in a few days if it works or not. Like you say not much room without moving the engine forward. There is probably a special wrench in the Ford manual to get it out that I do not have either.

How did you finally get out twist the body off to get to the base with the threads?

David

Take an open end wrench and bend it at a 90° angle, after heating it with a torch, far enough back so the head fits under the sensor. You can then use another wrench to turn the modified wrench, or get more creative.

Here is the official tool.

ivgtns.jpg

Paul of MO

I don't think there is. I am going to probably have to change mine. Will know in a few days if it works or not. Like you say not much room without moving the engine forward. There is probably a special wrench in the Ford manual to get it out that I do not have either.

How did you finally get out twist the body off to get to the base with the threads?

David
No. By using my normal 9/16" and a lot of wrench flipping over! I could get about 10-20 degrees at a time then had to go from drivers side back to passengers side, and alternate back and forth like that! Pain in the arse.

Take an open end wrench and bend it at a 90° angle, after heating it with a torch, far enough back so the head fits under the sensor. You can then use another wrench to turn the modified wrench, or get more creative.
Thanks Don but thats basically what my crows foot wrench does. 90 degrees like that. I had bitch of time keeping it on.

As a FYI this is style crowfoot I was using, but in 9/16 of course. Someone else may do better then me but I had hard time keeping it on the flats since you cant see it, you have to feel for it under the sensor.

http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-81622.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6839396&gclid=CjwKEAjwlfO3BRDR4Pj_u-iO2U0SJAD88y1Sv_GULbSht6_B2ao5jtkSqiv7Ua4afmXNADmSkCqzXBoCIL7w_wcB

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of sets of crowfoot wrenches and they can be a pain, too much flex and joints. The 90° wrench makes it much easier to feel the flats and keep it on.

Here is the official tool.

ivgtns.jpg

Paul of MO
Paul, do you own one of those tools, or do you know who manufactures it? That looks like something that wants me to own it! Lol :whistling:
I have the heated and bent open end wrench. It is my favorite. Snap on makes the one in picture. It is about 25 bucks. I wonder how well the sender holder actually works?

Looking at picture of official tool, and wishing I my wife trusted me to own torches and a welder, I would take a long enough 9/16" wrench and make the 2 bends so it would span the length of the sender. Then I would get a nut and weld it on the CLOSED end of the wrench. Then thread in a weld a short bolt into that nut. Now youd have a bolt head to twist on from the top! That is, if wife let me have fire and spark. I can dream. Hey you burn a few places as a kid and labeled for life, you know.

I have several customized tools in my tool boxes, some have just been used once and others many times, saving me a lot of skin on my knuckles, which is important - I can lose enough without any effort :)

Plus, it's cheaper to customize (and sometimes make) your own than buying a specialty tool. Good justification for getting an oxy-acetylene setup and welder.

Back